Chapter 40: Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries

Uncontrollable chaos reigned throughout the fourth floor of St. Mungo's wizarding hospital. The staff were all under no illusions that they had the unenviable task of saving the life of one of the world's most famous wizards. Delphini's body was slumped on a hospital bed in an excluded ward as a frantic group of over twenty healers set to work. Many had looks of not only concern, but bewilderment on their faces, how had Delphini managed to find herself in this condition? She had lost a frighteningly large amount of blood from her wounds and needed a magical blood transfusion instantly to prevent her from losing her life. Time was running out.

The curse was making her get cuts all over hr body, just like when she was tortured by Voldemort and some of his Death Eaters when she had just turned 14.

In the corridors outside, the Weasleys and Ron stood in sheer panic awaiting news of her condition. Arthur decided to cast his patronus and summon Kingsley; the minister needed to be informed immediately of the attack on Delphini. Hermione whose uncharacteristic tears were slowly bubbling into irrepressible anger, was demanding access into her friends room. However, the healer standing guard at the door was refusing entry to anyone, saying she would only disclose information to family members. Hermione's potent mixture of emotions soon exploded at this denial like something hit by a killing curse from Lord Voldemort.

'IF YOU KNEW WHO DELPHINI RIDDLE WAS, YOU'D KNOW HER PARENTS ARE DEAD. SHE HAS NO FAMILY," Hermione Yelled, her voice booming across the enclosed corridor. "BUT WE ARE AS CLOSE TO FAMILY AS SHE HAS, UNLESS YOU WANT ME TO BRING VOLDERMORT AND BELLATRIX HERE MYSELF!"

The healer recoiled in shock at the outburst but still refused to make way. Hermione had never been this angry at anyone before and quickly reached for her wand, and if looks could kill then the healer would be dead.

"Well, I'm Ronald Weasley and you've met my friend Hermione Granger. Just in case you've never read the Daily Prophet,were all best friends with the famous Harry Potter, here." Ron said pointing to Harry. "And of course, Delphini, we've been trying to destroy the most evil wizard to ever exist. We've survived on our own throughout and succeeded so far. If Harry, Hermione, Delphini and I didn't trust each other completely with our lives, then we'd almost certainly be dead. We're as close to family as she's got, and have been with her through everything. I know she considers us family, just as we consider her family. Is that not enough for you? I'm certain that qualifies us at least to know what is going on!" Ron said peacefully, unlike Hermione who was still giving the healer a death glare.

"Okay Minister come with me, we need to check with my boss." The healer said whilst signalling for Kingsley to follow her.

...

Kinglsey arrived back after 10 minutes. "Please Kingsley," Hermione begged, "go inside the ward and find out if Delphini's going to survive, I can't take anymore of this." Kinglsey was in their for half an hour. Then he returned. 'Well, according to the healers,' he began, walking over to the Weasleys and Hermione, 'the magical blood transfusion was completed successfully and her condition is beginning to stabilize. She'll be kept here for the next 4 months, 5 at the latest." Kingsley said slowly so everyone could understand. "She's still experiencing serve shocks as side effects from the curse, but she'll have them for the next year, after she's released." He paused to take a breath. "It was a nasty curse, she was near death." Hermione started to cry so Ron wrapped his arm around her shoulder embracing her in his famous suffocating hugs. This time Hermione didn't pull away.

Ginny hugged Harry and Harry was shocked but happy. "Oh thank you ever so much minister," said Molly, the colour beginning to return to her face, "We just needed to know she's going to pull through." Molly was like a mother to Delphini. Before Molly had even finished speaking, Kingsley had been confronted with streaks of curly brown hair, as Hermione jumped up and hugged him without even thinking. Slightly taken aback, Kingsley began to chuckle and returned the hug before Hermione regained control of her emotions and backed away. She had just hugged the minister for magic. How embarrassing she thought, just for a second. "Well," smiled Kingsley, seeing Hermione's expression, "I'm delighted that my decision to go inside the ward was the correct one."

"Yeah, we couldn't go on any longer not knowing, thanks Kingsley," piped up Ron, followed by a warm thank you from Hermione and the rest of the family. Everyone started to walk towards the end of corridor but Harry stayed waiting behind your door. "I hope you wake up soon, Delphini. I miss you so much. I'm so sorry for what I said at Hogsmeade a couple of weeks ago, no one could ever understand how much I regret it." Harry whispered to Delphini from behind her door - even though she couldn't hear it. Harry then rushed after the others.