Chapter 98: Permanent

Delphini and Draco both sat in silence for a minute and she started humming nervously. This was the first time, it was just her and Draco alone since before the kids were born. Then suddenly Draco spoke. "I can't stop thinking about him."

"Him?" Delphini asked, your eyebrow raising. "Your father.. V... V-Volde..."

"Voldemort," Delphini finished for him, watching as the blonde nodded furiously, a hand clenched in his hair. Immediately she understood why the former death eater had come to her and not someone else.

"It's just... Delph, I d-don't know how you did it. I don't know how you faced him. I know you don't really understand what it was like having to be on h-his side, but you're the closest to anyone who will understand how I feel," Draco continued, his voice cracking at the end.

He was trembling. You felt the urge to cross the room and hug him. "I can't unsee the things I saw. I know you c-can't either, I know it must plague you sometimes. You aren't the invincible person I once thought you were." 

"Draco..." Delphini murmured, "We've both seen terrible things. I know that. You know that. But we have to try to... stay in the m-moment..." Her own voice cracked. Draco looked up. "I shouldn't have brought it up. I knew it'd just weigh you down too."

"No," His wife responded, straightening up. "The past won't stop plaguing me as well." Draco looked back down at his shoes. "I'm so s-sorry." "Why?" Delphini asked, confused. "For everything." You knew that the words held more meaning than Draco could convey. "It's okay. I forgave you years ago." Draco let out a shuddering breath, and she saw a tear sliding down his cheek. "How can you forgive me? Because in the end, you were as much a victim as I was." More silence. "It won't come out, Delph."

Delphini looked at her husband inquisitively, confused, and his heart ached when he raised his head to meet his green eyes with his teary bluish grey ones, pulling up his left sleeve. Her eyes went downwards, scanning the blonde's arm. The Dark Mark was faded, but still there. The skin around and beneath it was heavily scarred and reddened, and was covered in fresh scratches.

"It won't c-come out," Draco repeated. Her mouth was open in shock. She'd never realised that living with the Dark Mark had affected Draco this much. She stood, crossing the room and following her instincts as she sat down beside Draco and hugged him. She felt the way the he trembled and shook, hearing little sobs escaping his lips and just hugged him. After a moment she felt the blonde's arms wrap around him as well and felt her own tears begin to slide down your face. "He's gone.. there's no chance he can come back."

And they just held each other, knowing how it felt, feeling a mutual sense of understanding. They were always going to be stuck with the scars and the pain.

Always.