Chapter ninety eight: The Destination

Monte took the gas pump out and turned taking the cap off the car putting the pump inside getting the gas inside, Evin looked over to him half sitting out of the car then looked over to the store where Emma and Connor went to ''Emma said Connor blames himself for Bruce's death.'' Evin stated, Monte looked over to him then turned leaning on the car looking towards the station ''Did she say what happened?'' Evin shook his head taking a bite into the candy bar he had ''I'm assuming Connor and her witnessed Aidens death?'' he asked looking over to Monte, he nodded pressing the trigger of the pump with his thumb watching the numbers ''I'd say they shouldn't witness things like that but, there teenagers and... It's the apocalypse.'' Monte looked over to him seeing him slighlty moving the wrapper down bitting the candy bar again ''Hey.'' Evin looked to him ''I mean, I wouldn't want anyone to witness death, especially Alex but... It is the apocalypse you're right, I know that Alex and the twins will be growing up around all of this, they'll witness death and you can't sheild them from it without locking them indoors.'' Evin looked at him then looked towards the station ''Connor witnessed his dad turning and getting shot, he witnessed Bruce getting swarmed and he witnessed Aiden getting shot, twice.'' he stated and looked over to him.

Evin got up and shut the door before walking over tossing the wrapper of his candy bar in the trash can as he passed by, he stopped and looked to his right hearing something and looked at the trees seeing thing's running around, he turned his head the other way shutting his eye's, Monte looked over to him narrowing his eye brows at him crossing his arm's over his chest and tilted his head. Evin opened his eye's and looked over seeing the shadows running around still, he breathed in turning forward before walking forward entering the station and looked over seeing Emma looking at the different snacks holding one in particular, Evin walked over and looked at the small bag of candies ''You ok?'' he asked, Emma looked to him snapping out of it then back to the bag ''Yeah, just uh.... Aiden's favorite.'' she stated and put the bag back on the shelf ''Uh, Connor went to the bathroom.'' she stated, Evin nodded and looked at her before turning and went around the shelves and down the hall stopping at the bathroom door ''Connor?'' he asked before leaning on the wall beside the bathroom door ''Yeah?'' Connor asked muffled but Evin could tell he was crying ''Can you open the door?'' he asked having a feeling it was unlocked already but wanted him to open it.

Connor looked at himself in the mirror seeing his eye's were puffy and red, he hung his head before pushing off the sink and went to the door opening it and looked at Evin who pushed off the wall and looked at him ''Do you need a hug?'' he asked, Connor looked at him ''It's my fault.'' Evin shook his head moving the door open more ''No, it's not.'' he stated, Connor looked at him ''Really, I told him it was safe to go, and that I would be right behind him but I.... I stayed back.'' Evin looked at him before bringing his hands up to Connor's shoulders ''It's not your fault, I want you to know that.'' Connor's head stayed hanging down before he lifted his head, Evins' eye's widened seeing that Connor changed, turned, Connor grabbed him and lunged forward.

Evin sat up placing his hand on the dash infront of him placing his hand on his chest, Monte looked at him then looked forward ''You ok?'' he asked with a slight smile, Evin looked around seeing he was in the car as he panted a bit, he fixed how he was sitting and breathed out ''Yeah.'' he said and turned looking in the back seeing Emma asleep next to Connor who was also alseep with Alex sleeping between them. Evin stared at Connor's face before turning back and looked around ''We're almost in Louisville.'' Monte informed, Evin nodded and looked around outside before leaning back in the chair ''Have you told him?'' Monte asked keeping his eye's on the road, Evin shook his head ''No.'' he stated and opened his eye's and decided to watch the road as well.