Chapter thirty one: The United States

Jennifer left the bedroom and looked around in the dark hallway, she walked down the hall and looked around to the left seeing Monte sitting near the window looking out with his right arm on the window sill holding his head up as he looked around, she smiled a bit and headed over crossing her arm's over her chest, she stopped behind him and noticed his left hand resting on the gun that rested on his left leg ''Did you sleep?'' Monte turned around looking to him, Monte shook his head and turned back lowering his right arm, Jennifer moved over and leaned on the wall looking over to the dark hall, she tucked her black hair behind her right ear and looked at Monte ''So... If you are Alexander's dad, and Alex called Jon his dad when he dropped him off yesterday... Does that mean you guy's are... Married?'' she asked and looked to him, Monte thought about that then smiled and shook his head ''Not yet.'' he stated and moved his left hand off his gun feeling his pocket before smiling and moved his hand back to to the assult ritfle.

Jennifer smiled ''When were you going to ask?" she asked being able to tell, Monte smiled ''Tomorrow.'' he stated thinking about the date him and Jon talked about having, Jennifer nodded ''I'm sure you'll get to ask him.'' she stated and looked out the window leaning forward a bit, Monte looked to her ''I hope so.'' he muttered looking back out the window, Jennifer thought of her other question then looked to Monte ''Do you know if there were any girls in the camp who were... Gay?'' Monte looked to her and smiled looking out the window ''Uh... No.'' he stated, Jennifer nodded ''Then again I didn't really ask, so.'' he stated and looked up to her seeing her smile a bit looking out the window. Monte looked outside and down the street being able to see the zone from where they were, the dead still ocuping the area ''Are you willing to take a shot in the dark?'' he asked and got up from his seat walking over to the kitchen. He walked around the counter setting his ritfle on the counter turning a flashlight on that he found in the drawer of the kitchen, Jennifer walked over and leaned on the counter seeing he drew a map on the counter with a sharpie he found.

Jennifer looked up to him seeing Monte looking at him ''Couldn't sleep.'' he stated and shinned the light at the counter ''Davis said that the military in the US were helping people, gathering them somewhere safe, handing out water to everyone while also keeping them safe.'' he stated and looked at the map he made ''If we can get to the border, make it past that said border we could try and find them.'' Jennifer looked at him, Monte looked to her ''Davis said that you guy's followed him.'' Jennifer nodded ''We had no choice, it was either follow him and the men or stay in New York unprotected with no weapons or anyone who knows how, other then Emily.'' she stated and looked down holding her hands together in front of her. Monte nodded and looked down ''I say we get a car, move into the US from where the other's went to get you guys.'' Monte explained and looked to her. Jennifer nodded ''Monte,'' he looked to her ''How do we know the military over there is good?'' Monte paused thinking about it and smiled ''Like I said, shot in the dark.'' he stated and moved around the counter picking up the ritfle and moved to the door setting the assult ritfle down turning to look at Jen ''Look throught his apartment for supplies, backpacks and other thing's, I'm gonna check the room's down the hall.'' Jen nodded and turned going into the kitchen, Monte held the baby bag hopping to find an actual backpack in a different room.

Monte opened the door shinning the flashlight into the hall shinning it up and down the hall stepping out shutting the door behind him, he put the light under his arm and checked his ritfle before putting the strap over his head moving the light to his left hand before taking his machette out walking down the hall. Jennifer opened the drawers taking out a knife, it was a large blade with a thick handle, she shut the drawer setting it on the counter and opened the cupboards. Looking through, there were pancake mix and different stuff for baking, she shut it and opened the next one seeing bowls, the next cupboards had plates and cups. She moved over opening the fridge before moving her head back before lifting her shirt over her mouth and nose smelling the rotten food in the fridge.

Monte opened a door and aimed the flashlight inside with the knife up as well, he walked inside and shinned the light around the apartment before lowering the light and went down the hall opening the doors before going into the bedroom and opened the closet smiling once he saw the backpack, he grabbed it moved towards the door before stopping hearing movement and turned shinning the light around the room knowing it came from in the room. He stepped out of the room before tapping the flashlight on the door frame and shinned the light inside before moving his eye's up hearing a thud and was a bit confused shinning the light up seeing a vent right above the door. He looked around the room shutting the door after a bit and walked down the hall putting the bag near the door before walking around the rest of the apartment.