Chapter fifty: The Faction

Mia looked around as they headed down the street and turned looking to Connor ''Which buildings, do you remember?'' she asked curiously, Connor looked around at the street sign's ''All the building on this street should be cleared, it was one of the streets with the checkmark.'' he explained and looked to her, Mia nodded and looked to Emma who was looking at the different stores ''Why don't you and Connor go in these one's, me and Nikko will take the one's across the street.'' she explained, Emma looked to her and nodded, Connor walked past Mia while Nikko went with her to the other side. Emma pushed the door to a cafe open and looked around with her pistol before lowering it and pulling the bat up walking in more, Connor shinned the flashlight into the cafe and looked to Emma before looking around, he walked over and picked up an old purse that was laying there and moved thing's around before dumping it out on the table, Emma looked back to him ''What are you looking for?'' she questioned before walking to him. Connor smiled and picked up the key's and looked to her holding them up ''You expecting someone to walk to a cafe in a city in high heals?'' he asked and pointed to the lone high heal laying on the ground beside the table.

Emma smiled looking at him ''Alright smarty.'' she stated and looked past him hearing a truck, Connor turned hearing it as well ''People?'' she questioned, Connor looked to her ''Hide.'' he stated not wanting to figure out if his suspicion was right about them being the people who broke their zone. Emma watched as Connor went to the back of the store ''Why, what if they're good people?'' she asked following him, Connor turned to her ''When has anyone we have ever met been ''good people''.'' Emma sighed and went behind the counter with him, Connor moved over and slid the small door for the baked goods open to look through the glass on the other side, they heard the truck get closer before it slowed down and people hopped out ''I swear I saw them around here, check the stores.'' he heard one say and turned looking to Emma, she brought her hands up and nodded ''Fine, their bad people, we need to get to Mia and Nikko.'' she whispered and peeked over the coutner seeing Nikko run out of the store.

Connor peeked over and saw aswell ''What the hell is he doing?'' he muttered, the group outside turned aiming at Nikko as his hands were up. Mia stood in the store hearing them bring their attention to Nikko and saw him standing out there ''We come in peace.'' Nikko stated and looked into the store at Mia ''We don't like tresspassers.'' one said aiming to Nikko, he turned back before getting riddled with bullets, Connor pulled Emma down and into him covering her mouth as she gasped, Emma's heart pounded as Connor held her close keeping her quiet. Mia's eye's widened and she jumped over the counter as they started to shoot at her, once the bullet's stopped she got up and ran into the back room shutting the door, she turned and looked around seeing it was a change room. She ran over and pulled a small cleaner's cart over before climbing onto it, she grabbed the broom before reaching up getting the grate off the vent before grabbing the top of it and pulled herself up and into the vent, she then reached the broom down to the cart pushing it to the side before dropping the broom and brought the vent back moving it out and pulled it back on just as they broke the door open.

The guy aimed his gun around before looking behind him and walked down the side opening the last door aiming inside, a woman moved back there and looked around seeing him checking all the room's, Mia stopped and felt the cold breeze from outside and looked over seeing it was slightly bright in the vent, she started crawling over to where the light was being as quiet as she could, once getting there she rolled over and looked up seeing the vent opened to the roof. She reached up and grabbed the edge pulling herself to her feet before pressing her back to the side of the vent and brought her leg's up using them to walk herself up. She got to the top in no time and reached up grabbing up, she pushed before walking herself up more and kicking it off, she grabbed the edges and pulled herself out, once she did she rolled over onto her back and brought her hands up covering her mouth thinking about Nikko, how they didn't even hesitate to shoot him. Connor peeked throught the glass before truning Emma to face him, Emma breathed out as tears filled her eye's ''We have to leave.'' he stated, Emma looked at him ''Mia.'' she whispered, Connor shook his head ''She'll be ok, right now we need to get back and warn Bruce.'' Emma breathed in calming her breathing and whipped the tears from her eye's before nodding, Connor took her hand and pulled her to the back door staying low to the ground, he turned and shut it behind them before getting up and looking around, Emma sat on the ground as her hands shook a bit.

Connor looked around seeing a thin but tall roll shutting door and went over unlocking the small hatch and pulled it up a bit before getting low and looked outside, he pushed it up the rest of the way and held it looking back to Emma ''Em.'' she looked to him and nodded getting up, she held her base ball bat and moved under the door letting Connor move out and lower it to the ground, Connor took her hand and started leading her down the alley, he looked around the corner and looked towards where the truck was seeing they were to busy looking for Mia and pulled Emma ''There!'' someone yelled and shot in their direction, Emma ducked before Connor pulled her getting them to run down the alley towards the street ''We can't lead them back.'' Emma stated getting Connor to slow down and re-think everything ''There's a building near here, it's clear and out of the way of their patrols, they shouldn't look there.'' he stated thinking about the map and pulled Emma in that direction.