Chapter ninety nine: The Unwanted

Carson looked around before tossing the rock that was in his hand to the store window beside the front doors smashing it, he picked the wrench up and walked over stepping over the wood that lined the window getting in from the rain and looked around before looking around for any walkers that might've been inside, once he saw it was clear he went into the store more. He looked around seeing the different stuff that would've been used for construction and plumbing, he went to the far end looking around before finding the gardening area, he went to the doors and moved the stuff baracading the doors before he tried opening them before taking a step back, he looked around the store before swinging the wrench smashing the glass on the door before leaning under the handle and looked around before looking to the end of the green house looking area and saw it was baricaded from the inside, he looked around before seeing sleeping bags near the back, he brought the wrench up and looked around while he walked over, the rain hitting the the glass around him helped him not be in complete silence while he was in the store.

He got there and saw there weren't any people or zombies so he relaxed and crouched down looking at the sleeping bags, he looked to the side seeing a cooler and got up walking over, he crouched again and set the wrench down to open the cooler and froze seeing a head, he shut it and grabbed the wrench standing up, he looked around before turning and looked at the sleeping bags before hearing cries coming from a small room. He raised his wrench and walked over pushing the door open seeing it was a storage area and looked around before seeing a little boy, he crouched down ''Hey.'' the little boy looked to him, his head was burried in his knee's and Carson coule tell he had been crying ''Where are your parents?'' he asked concerned, the boy sniffled and looked at him, Carson turned and looked at the sleeping bags ''Do you have one parent or two?'' he asked looking back at him, the boy just stared with tears staining his cheeks ''How old are you?'' he asked only seeing Alex in this kid.

The boy stayed quite, Carson nodded before getting up ''Good talk.'' he stated and left the small room, he looked around before walking over and put the wrench down picking up the shovel and thought about how he would carry things, Carson turned hearing something and saw the boy come out of the storage closet and look at the sleeping bags, he went over and picked up a stuffed bunny, Carson looked at him before leaning the shovel on the table and took his bag off his right arm clenching his jaw before taking it off his other shoulder laying it on the table knocking a plant pot over, the boy looked over to him and looked at the plant pot that he knocked over before watching Carson move the wrench into his bag getting the bag back on his shoulders before picking the shovel up again and turned looking to the boy seeing him staring at him ''Do you talk?'' he asked, the boy stared at him ''Look your parent's probably taught you not to talk to strangers but.....'' Carson looked to the side trying to think of something then looked over to him ''Did your parent's say they would be coming back?'' he asked, the boy finally moved his head nodding, Carson nodded ''When?'' he asked, the boy stared at him ''I'm not gonna hurt them I just want to know that you won't be alone.'' the boy looked to the sleeping bags ''Ten hours ago.'' the boy finally spoke, he had a hint of some kind of accent but he couldn't tell what it was.

Carson stared at him and looked around knowing if they said they would be coming back ten hours ago they could be coming back now, he sighed ''Do you have a name?'' he asked walking over the boy looked at him ''Alfie.'' Carson nodded thinking about everything then tilted his head a bit ''Wait, have you been alone for ten hours or they will be back in ten hours?'' he asked, Alfie looked at him ''I've been alone for ten hours.'' he stated looking to him, Carson stared at him then sighed thinking about it ''Did they give you a time?'' he asked, Alfie shook his head, Carson nodded thinking about it, he saw Alfie hug his stuffed bunny and Carson knew he couldn't just leave him here alone, he brought shovel up and stood it on the handle part ''I don't think they'll come back.'' Alfie muttered and Carson heard him before crouching down moving the shovel to let it lay on the ground ''Why?'' he asked and got his bag off ''My mom was fighting with my dad before they left.'' Carson looked at himthen looked to the shovel noticing the edge of the metal ''Alfie, did you see them leave?'' he asked looking at him, Alfie looked at him and shook his head ''What did your dad look like?'' he asked, Alfie thought for a bit ''Like me, but older.'' he stated with a smile ''Did you see him, is he ok?'' he asked his eye's widening while his mouth slightly parted, Carson smiled a bit ''I think so.'' he stated and looked to the shovel knowing what was on the edge now.

He stood up and brought his bag up on the table ''Alfie, are you hungry?'' he asked looking to him, he nodded, Carson looked through the bag taking out a candy bar and handed it to him, Alfie went over and took it from him ''What do I call you?'' he asked looking up to him, Carson smiled and introduced himself, Alfie nodded and looked at the candy bar before sitting down with his bunny and unwrapped the candy bar, Carson sat down next to him and looked forward ''What happened to your arm?'' he asked looking to him, Carson looked to him ''A bad guy broke it, I was trying to protect someone.'' he stated and looked forward thinking about that day while Alfie ate ''Did you protect them?'' Carson stared forward hearing him and shook his head ''No, she had lost two people that were close to her so... She didn't want protecting.'' he explained, Alfie ate the whole candy bar ''My mom said I was to loud, she didn't want to protect me.'' Carson looked to him and thought about his options ''How would you like to travel with me, I'm going to meet my friends.'' Alfie looked to him and thought for a bit before nodding ''Sure.'' Carson looked forward before nodding slightly.