471-475

"Invite me for a meeting? From the Yan Manor?" Helian Wei Wei and Baili Jia Jue exchanged quick glances with each other. He still seemed indifferent, while a hint of mischief appeared in Helian Wei Wei's eyes.

The servant who informed her nodded and said, "Old Master Yan said that he would like to give you a welcome banquet as you have just taken office."

Helian Wei Wei began to laugh as she replied, "I don't even know this Old Master Yan, why is he making a welcome banquet for me?"

"Master, there's no need to worry. Old Master Yan would do the same every time a new county magistrate takes office. From my humble point of view, this seems perfectly normal."

However, he did not realize that he had unintentionally revealed Old Master Yan's tricks with that reply.

It must be troublesome to deal with a merchant that understood the way things worked in politics.

She presumed that it would be better to meet them earlier rather than later. Since the invitation had arrived, she decided to attend it, even if it was a trap for them to take her life.

Helian Wei Wei folded the invitation card in her hands, saying, "Fine, lead me there..."

The banquet was held at the best tavern in Fuping County, which was greatly popular throughout the county. Every dish they served was very expensive, so it was a place that the normal commoners could never patronize.

The owner of this tavern was none other than Old Master Yan.

Old Master Yan and his people had already arrived. It seemed that he lived an extravagant life, wearing a huge golden ring on his finger as he sipped his tea lackadaisically.

Private Advisor Zhang was standing beside him, bowing his head while muttering something to him.

Upon hearing his words, Old Master Yan laughed and said, "As the saying goes, a new broom sweeps clean, he is clearly overly passionate about his new position. This Wei fellow has some guts, but do not worry. I won't start a feud with him so quickly, let's see how he behaves later. If he knows his place, then I will forget about this matter. The most important thing is that Magistrate Liao wants to make friends with him. Is that correct, Magistrate Liao?"

Private Advisor Zhang was astonished when he heard the news. Magistrate Liao is influential and has jurisdiction over a few counties, why would he be interested in our newly-appointed Lord Wei?

Magistrate Liao lifted his teacup and took a sip of tea. Then, he said, "The imperial court has allocated some funds specifically for Fuping County two days ago. However, the money is managed by Lord Wei. We have to rope him in if we want to lay our hands on it."

"Allocated specifically for Fuping County?" Old Master Yan had not heard the news before. Looking slightly surprised, he asked, "How capable is this Lord Wei for the imperial court to designate funds for him? Could it be that he has powerful people supporting him?"

Private Advisor Zhang's eyes widened as he uttered, "It seems unlikely. I have asked him about it this morning. He doesn't look like he has someone supporting him from behind. Furthermore, he is dressed very ordinarily."

"Both of you have been following me for too long, your minds have become too complicated." Magistrate Liao burst into laughter, and then said, "What influence can he have? It's just sheer coincidence. The Retired Emperor has his eyes on the Hebei region recently. Furthermore, our Fuping County has a huge jujube yield and they are selling well. Of course, they will give us some benefits."

Old Master Yan let out a sigh of relief, saying, "I see, but it's hard to say for now. Let's be nice to the Wei fellow when he arrives later. As long as he's on board with us, then we will be able to acquire the money."