546-550

"These elders are not making any sense. After so many men were killed, will reading the scripture be of any use?" Yuan Ming's voice of mockery rang out.

Helian Wei Wei, however, curved her lips upward. "It may not be helpful to apprehend the murderer. But, it works for a possessed person like me."

All of a sudden, Yuan Ming narrowed his eyes. "It looks like we share the same idea. The elders most probably hired these eminent monks to manage you."

Helian Wei Wei acknowledged him before she lifted the teacup and lay back on the chair. Then, she asked Eunuch Sun in an indifferent tone, "Has The Retired Emperor agreed to it?"

"He has agreed." Eunuch Sun chuckled, " The elders sounded confident, leaving the Retired Emperor with no reason to ban their ideas. Princess Consort, you know how things are. As long as the old officials are content with their lot, the Retired Emperor cannot be bothered to discuss with them further."

Helian Wei Wei nodded, "Yes, he should agree to them." If he rejects their idea, he will put the people in doubt and we'll end up in a bad situation.

"The Retired Emperor has requested me to notify Princess Consort to not get confused when you hear the Buddhaghosa. I heard that they have the intention to recite the scripture for the entire day. But, I don't know if it's effective." Eunuch Sun heaved a sigh before he continued, "We met the deceased maids before. It's such a shame that they were all of a young age when they died."

Helian Wei Wei tapped the edge of the cup rhythmically with her forefinger. This was her habit when she cogitated. "According to you, the bodies were discovered in the river. I have been living in the palace for a long time. Why haven't I noticed any river within the imperial palace's compound?"

"The place is secluded. Only those who have resided in the palace for some years have knowledge about the river," said Eunuch Sun. He looked around before he proceeded, "It is right behind the Cold Palace. Speaking of that, it's strange because the river started off as a puddle derived from the moat. Nobody can explain why the water level continues to rise and eventually it forms a river. However, if the water level had not risen, we would've discovered the bodies much later. This is such a fortunate coincidence. I guess this is all destined!"

Upon hearing this, Helian Wei Wei put on a meaningful smile, "Yes. It's really a fortunate coincidence."

"Hmm?" Eunuch Sun was not an astute person. Although he failed to analyze the case, he detected the change in Helian Wei Wei's intonation. Realizing something was going on, he raised his eyebrows and asked, "Princess Consort, are you hinting that the issue is not that simple?"

Helian Wei Wei put down the teacup in her hand and answered, "Eunuch Sun, do you remember the task that the Retired Emperor assigned to His Highness and I when we visited Fuping?"

"Yes, I remember," Eunuch Sun immediately replied. "There is a large area in Fuping, which is suitable for plantation. However, there had been a severe drought at Fuping that significantly affected the production of the crops. For some time, the Retire Emperor was agonizing over the climate crisis at Fuping. Fortunately, Princess Consort and His Highness visited Fuping personally and solved the problem."

Helian Wei Wei gave a half-hearted laugh, "Fuping was not the only area that is affected by the drought. It has been a while since the last rain fell on the Capital too. This is all due to the change of season. Don't you find it strange, Eunuch Sun? It was raining last month and the water level of the puddle did not rise at all. However, this month, after more than 10 days of dryness, the water level rose notably. Do you not find this unusual?"

Eunuch Sun was surprised by the statement. Then, he stood up abruptly while his face appeared flustered, "Princess Consort..."

"Eunuch Sun," Helian Wei Wei interrupted him before he could finish his words, "Eunuch Sun, please forget about what I've just said. If the rising water level is not a result of the rain, there is probably a flaw in the management of the moat. Without an order from the superior, no one will have the audacity to disturb the moat."