Killing me slowly

"Y/n-chan..."

The sounds of someone saying my name. It was so far away and yet it felt close at the same time.

"Y/n, you have to open your eyes sweety."

I could feel cold fingers caress my hair and cheek and I wanted to open my eyes. I really wanted to but my eyes were just so heavy.

"Hey sleepyhead," that same deep voice said again. A chuckle lacing his voice as the cold fingers softly nudged my cheek. "I know you're tired but you have to wake up for a bit y/n-chan."

"I don't want to."

The words slipped from my lips but they might have sounded like whimpering more than actual words. The reminders of a good dream lingered behind my eyes. I wasn't even sure what the dream was, who was in it. But I just knew I wanted to fall asleep again and continue where I had left off.

"Y/n-chan, come on." A new nudge against my cheek, a bit more forceful this time. "You really have to open those beautiful eyes, honey."

It was the last bit of encouragement my mind needed to fully wake up. My eyes fluttered open and I was greeted with Tobi's orange mask, which was dangerously close to my face.

"Hey, you're finally awake," he said. This was definitely Tobi and yet, the aura around him seemed different. "Did you sleep well?" He asked as he leaned back and reached out a hand for me to take. He pulled me into a sitting position and my eyes focussed on the glove that covered his hand. The scent of leather entered my nose as he carefully brushed a few strands of hair from my cheek. "Are you going to answer me or are we staying silent for the remainder of the day."

"I slept well." I looked up at the orange mask that covered his face. "Thank you, Tobi."

My eyes were still captivated by the orange plastic. Wasn't it weird to always have your face covered? Why would anybody want to cover his face like that? Only looking at the world through the small hole?

"Aren't you tired of that mask?"

I don't know why I asked that. I don't even know why I was so interested in that mask. Or maybe it was that I wanted to know what was behind the mask? It didn't even matter because Tobi immediately pulled back out of my reach.

"I'm used to it."

His voice had something sharp. A silent warning to stop prying.

"Do you still want to see Itachi?"

That question was so unexpected. It hit me in the face like a ton of bricks. And it hurt just like that. I felt crushed. I couldn't breathe. Every breath was a new fight I had to start before the last one was even finished. My vision blurred, obstructed by the tears that fell from my eyes. I nodded because I didn't trust my voice. I was sure it would break as soon as I opened my mouth.

Tobi didn't say a word as he rose to his feet and offered me the gloved hand again. I allowed him to pull me to my feet but it felt like my body was made out of lead. Had walking always been this hard?

I noticed how cold it was in the hallway. The dimly light corridor had something ominous about it. As if something scary would jump right out of one of the shadows to attack me and my hand involuntarily increased its hold on Tobi's.

"Are you okay?"

I didn't answer and Tobi was quick to pick up on my current state of mind.

"Of course you're not," he said as he pulled me closer and let go of my hand to wrap his arm around my shoulder. "This has to be so hard for you. But I'll be with you. You can lean on me."