Lost in the Leaves

---Kakashi's pov---

My blood was boiling. The masked stranger was taunting me. Every time I ran into him, he knew exactly what to say to push my buttons. He knew what would set me off. What action would trigger the fiercest of emotions in me. What would set me into a burning inferno of rage that I could hardly contain.

He was behind me in a flash but when I turned around to attack, my hand traveled through him like he wasn't there. I had fought him before and I wasn't able to think of a way to hit him yet, but with all the anger that I harbored inside me, I felt like I could punch through the stone faces.

"Imagine how she felt," the orange masked stranger's said as he reappeared in front of me. "Coming home to her husband, the one she has been thinking and dreaming about for all this time, only to find him in their bed. Fucking some skank with a ponytail."

The truth was painful. Burning pieces of glass being pushed inside my eyes and heart. Tearing and slicing through the tissue and searing the bleeding at the same time. But how did you stop that pain? What would I have to do to get this pain to go away?

"Shut the hell up!"

I roared as I lashed out at him once more but again, my hand traveled through him existed only out of thin air. "Stop being a coward! Be a man and fight me!"

His laugh. It had something demonic. The laugh of a mad man that enjoyed the terror and chaos he created. He reappeared before me, his shoulders shaking in laughter. "Oh man, the almighty Kakashi, wielder of a thousand jutsu is losing his patience with me. He is threatening me and calling me a coward and telling me to man up. I'm so scared."

A swirl of the air in front of me and he was gone again. Lost from my sight and out of my reach. "When are you going to realize that the anger you are aiming towards me should be aimed at yourself huh?"

He was dancing circles around me. Popping up in the most inconvenient places. Always a few yards away. Never close enough to strike at him but his words. They hit their target. They tore at my flesh and sanity. And they were true.

"She is still breathing copy cat but you killed her. Did you know that?"

He was now sitting on a pile of rubble. His hand easily leaning on his popped-up knee. "Her heart is still beating but you broke it, into so many pieces it will never beat in its previous rhythm again. She isn't the Y/n you once knew anymore. She will never come back to you. You, once again, failed to protect those you put their trust in you. You, Kakashi Hatake, are a failure."

And with those words, he left me. In the dirt, surrounded by piles of smoking debris. And no matter how much I wanted to tell myself that he was lying. That he was wrong and that I would be able to make it up to her. That I would move heaven and earth and everything in between to make up for the mistakes I made, I knew that he was right. Nothing but a time machine would be able to save us. A time machine that could take me back to the night that I killed our love. The love she once carried for me and that I desperately needed. The love that would keep me alive.

I was so busy with my self-chastisement that I didn't hear the enemy behind me. The blast was loud and violent. The force blew me away, my back crashing against the former wall of a home and debris started to fall on top of me. And all I could think about, all that my mind could see, was Y/n.

---Readers pov---

Obito left me alone on the hill and I wasn't sure if I was thankful for it or hurt. I didn't know if I wanted to cling to him or push him away. I wanted to ask him so many questions. Questions about what he had just said. Questions about us. Was there even an us? There shouldn't be but it felt like there was. Why did I fuck this up so badly? How could I fuck this up so badly? Was this really the result of being mind fucked by Itachi and cheated on by Kakashi? My once so strong and fierce resolve was broken down to tiny bits of nothing.

It took me a few minutes to gather my thoughts. Or rather, to push them away to a dark corner in my mind so I could focus on what was currently the main issue. An attack on Konoha. On Naruto. I rushed into my clothes, not caring if everything was in the right place and tied correctly. I just needed to get to the battlefield. To Naruto so I could at least tell him that they were here to extract his nine tails. That he was their target.

I jumped to the trees and started to jump from branch to branch. I didn't know what I was going to do, but I did know that I had to do something. I couldn't stay frozen. Staying silent and on the sidelines wasn't an option anymore. Because if I remained frozen, silent, and on the side, Naruto would be in danger. Mortal danger. Danger I could have saved him from.

The border of the village quickly came closer. The walls triggered a weird sense of comfort within me. It felt like coming home. Like opening the door to your house after you had to walk home in the rain. Opening the door and stepping into the warmth and feeling total relaxation settling inside you. But at the same time, it made me want to run. Hard and fast. Away from the memories that were formed behind those large protective walls. Away from the memories that lingered there. Kakashi, Itachi, Asuma. The hurt that those walls represented, was greater and heavier than the great stone faces that stood so far away from them.

I jumped down to the ground and started to run again. The ground felt different. Uneven and dirty, dusty and damaged. Where once stood a cute grocery store that belonged to the Onikuma clan was now an abyss. I just hoped that everybody was safe. Out of the way of whatever Pein and his lackeys were doing.

I continued running, my eyes darting left and right just to find something, although I didn't know what. Until I found it. Until my eyes linked with a sight that made my heart rate increase. My breathing became irregular. Shallow and rushed all at the same time. Because before me, buried under a pile of the ruble, sat Kakashi. His arms were trapped against his sides, pieces of what once was a wall, resting on his lap, pinning him down. Obito was standing in front of him, his arms folded, his stance relaxed and unphased as he watched Kakashi squirm.

I couldn't hear what they were saying. I couldn't make out what was being said. Both their faces hidden by the masks they chose to wear. And my heart was wearing a mask as well. Because I couldn't decide what to do. I couldn't figure out what I should do. Help Kakashi and toss aside everything that had been building between me and Obito. Walk away with Obito and end whatever still lingered between me and Kakashi. There were so many options but none of them were right. None of them made the voices in my head numb. They continued to steer me in directions I didn't want to go. Guiding me towards outcomes that didn't feel right. Why didn't I know what to do? Since when did I become so weak? So powerless when I needed to make a decision.

"Y- Y/n-chan."

My inner battle broke as soon as I heard the weakly whimpered words.

I looked up and I swear my breathing stopped. Kakashi, as weak as he was right now. Pinned under trash, his body bruised and beat, and still, he called out to me.

"Baby... You're b-back."

I could hear the smile in his voice. The happiness and desperation radiated from him. But what should I do? What could I do? Why didn't my brain decide my next action?

"Y/n-chan."

Obito's voice. A lot more firm than Kakashi's. Certain in his words and actions as he walked over to me. He stood before me, his hanging easily at his sides. "I know you're fighting an internal battle now love."

He removed the glove from his hand and softly caressed my cheek with the back of his hand. "And I wish I could help you make that decision. But you have to make it. I can't force you to do what I want you to do. You need to do what you want to do. Because forcing you, making you decide what I want you to, hurting you with my actions. That isn't something you do to the people you love."

He slowly leaned into me and placed a soft, lingering kiss on my forehead. Soft and tender. Just like the words he spoke. His lips remained there, two maybe three seconds before an angry growl interrupted the moment.

"L-let go of her!"

"Why copycat? You're the one that cheated on her. The one who screwed someone else in your marital bed. I never did anything to hurt her. That was on you." Obito turned sideways, his hands still cupping my cheeks. "You claim to love her, yet, you're the one who hurt her. You're the one who broke her. So don't you dare make demands."