"Fine"

This was ridiculous. This was bordering on absolute insanity. What was Tsunade thinking? I understood the options she was presenting Y/n with. I just did not expect her to say this. How could Tsunade even remotely think this was acceptable? That this was a good idea? How did she conclude that this would work?

"So, what are my options?"

Y/n asked uninterested tone. Even her way of speaking wasn't the same anymore. She had changed so much. But what changed her? Was it her time at the hideout? Was it her repeated run-ins with Itachi that detached her from me and Konoha? Was it that she knew I cheated? Or had she given up on us before that?

"Well, when you break your ties with Konoha, I will hand you over to Ibiki and Inoichi. Inoichi will erase your memory before we send you off. You will be stripped of your official rank and title and you will be branded an enemy of Konoha and the affiliated villages." Tsunade painted a grim picture but one that was true. This was exactly what was waiting for Y/n if she did not reaffirm her affiliation with Konoha. But what Tsunade said next, is what knocked the wind out of me.

"Or you can stay here, with Kakashi as your 24/7 chaperone."

Y/n's face remained frozen. As if she had an inkling that this was exactly what Tsunade was going to say. As if she had been a part of the plan. But her reply to our Hokage left no room for the idea that she had been included.

"Then I'll take my chances with Ibiki and Inoichi."

Her words stung. The venom laced within them burning through my heart and slowly taking over my entire being. Did she rather be exiled than stay with me for whatever time Tsunade deemed necessary?

And why didn't my opinion matter? Tsunade basically condemned us together. We weren't even able to look at each other, let alone spend time together without a chaperone. And now she wanted us to spend every minute together. Every waking hour. Did I do something to anger Tsunade? Was this her way of trying to get us back together? Didn't she see that we were broken beyond repair? That was what she was suggesting was beyond madness.

"Why?"

Tsunade's hazel eyes were trained on Y/n. Like a predator stalking its prey. Never allowing her focus to shift for even the slightest of seconds.

It was a weird sight to see Y/n so stoic. Her head held high. Her spine stretched to make her as tall as her frame would allow her. Seeing her like this reminded me of earlier times. Times in with we were still a couple. A combination that worked and matched. That meshed together like they had never been apart. And for a second, I longed to go back in time. To go back and return to when our lives were easier. At the time our biggest worry was who was going to do the dishes. If and when she decided that she wouldn't bow to something or someone, she would never break. And right now, she looked like that. Like how she would stare at me when it was my turn to pick up on some random chore in the house and I either moaned or complained about it. It didn't happen often but when it did, when she gave me that look, I knew that there was no room for debate left.

"I know what you're trying to do Tsunade," Y/n said while she squared her shoulders. "And that ship has sailed."

Y/n never looked at me but I knew she was referring to our marriage. it was beyond repair. Thrown on the ground and broken into a thousand pieces. And I was responsible for that last hit that made the dream shatter. We had our problems before, but they were small. Insignificant and unimportant. But then Y/n's run-in with Itachi happened. Me, accusing her of cheating, her getting hurt. So much happened that put a strain on our marriage. But nothing had damaged us like my cheating. And it was a shitty feeling to know that I was responsible for breaking what was my holy grail.