A memory

(General pov)

After his altercation with Tsunade, Kakashi wandered through Konoha. He didn't know where to go or what to do. Tsunade's words still echoed through his ears. "I'm saying that if you do leave the village, I'm reporting you as a rogue."

How could she say that? After everything that Y/n had done for Konoha? She had given her soul and body on a silver platter and yet, Tsunade and the elder were so ready to accept that she was lost. They didn't even know if she was forced or if she had made the choice to disappear, and that made this even harder to wrap his head around what was happening.

Kakashi refused to stay in the hospital. Against Tsunade's advice, he checked himself out and exited the large building onto the street. Everything was exactly how he had left it. The same people, the same faces. And yet, everything felt off. It wasn't complete without Y/n. Or at least having the faintest idea where she might be.

Kakashi's feet started moving, away from the hospital. Anywhere but here. The familiar streets that always felt warm and welcome, the feeling of reaching home, did not bring him any pleasure now.

If anything, the sight of the house he shared with Y/n made his heart throb. The steps to their front door felt like climbing a high mountain. His legs and lungs burned as he dragged himself on the small stairs and reached in his pocket. He fumbled with his keyring until he found the right one and opened his door.

The silence was deafening. How many times had he returned home only to find Y/n humming in their kitchen? Or sleeping on their couch. The light of the sun dancing over her peaceful face and h/c locks. He longed to see her face. To feel her skin under his hands and to smell the sweet scent of cherry blossoms that seemed to radiate from her. He wanted nothing more than to hear her sing to him as she had done so many times since they became a couple.

Kakashi knew that he should eat something, take a shower and just have a moment to think about what he should do. But he couldn't bring himself to do any of those things. Unlike him, he kicked off his shoes and didn't care where they landed. Y/n wasn't even here to scold him, so why not?

He fell onto the couch face forward, not even caring if he would catch himself or not. His body bounced twice before he laid completely still and his mind started going a thousand miles a minute. But no matter how much he thought, he was torn. Loyalty towards Konoha, his home. Or his wife, Y/n.

His heart screamed for him to get up and go search for her. Tsunade and Konoha be dammed. But his mind told him to stay put. First of all, he was in no condition to go out and look for her. He had drained his chakra almost completely and even Pakkun had started complaining at one point. Kakashi's initial thought was to tell his K9 companion to stop nagging but when he noticed that Pakkun's feet were leaving small bloody prints, he felt shame. How could he allow one of his teammates to get hurt this bad over something personal? He immediately told Pakkun to summon the rest of the pack and return to their home so they could rest up.

How could Tsunade tell him to trust her in this one? Who in their right mind would tell a husband he couldn't go after his missing wife and ask them to trust them? He didn't want to think about what her brainwave was because he simply didn't want to understand. In his eyes, Tsunade was asking something impossible from him. He wouldn't trust her now, even if she begged him.

Left or right? Which way to go? Kakashi simply didn't know and it ate at him like a bug. But even the mighty copycat ninja has to sleep and so, while his mind kept going, his body gave out and Kakashi slipped into a deep slumber.

Obito's jutsu was able to transport him anywhere and so he took his opportunity. The words of the h/c kunoichi lingered in his head.

"What I need is in my pouch."