Lady Fukurō

It was a few weeks after Asuma had died and life, as it tends to do, continued like it always does. And so, I found myself on a mission with team 8 under Kakashi's captainship and team 7 under Yamato's. I was used as the floater between the two.

"Our main objective is to find Itachi and take him into custody."

Kakashi's words were expected and yet, my heart clenched slightly at his words. The genin all listened intently as Kakashi explained the plan. When he mentioned that the Akatsuki were busy rounding up the tailed beasts, I could see their faces turn stern.

Kakashi continued as if he didn't see the hesitation flash over my face and continued as if nothing happened. With a forceful slam of his hand, his ninken appeared.

"Pakkun," I grinned when the alpha of the pack appeared and he immediately ran to me.

"Y/n-chan! It's been a long time since I got to work with you!" He said as he sat down before me.

I kneeled down and picked him up but Kakashi was quick to walk over and take the small k9 from me. "You will stick with me Pakkun. Y/n is going to be watching over us all from the sky.

Pakkun didn't reply to Kakashi's word and leisurely relaxed on his shoulder. "O by the way Y/n-chan," Kakashi called out to me. "I was hoping you could summon Lady Fukurō."

I nodded and performed the signs before slamming a charka filled hand on the ground. "Lady Fukurō, thank you for always coming to me when I need you," I answered with a small bow at the large summoning.

Hinata and Sakura both had smiled of adoration. Lady Fukurō. A pure white snow owl. She was large enough to carry me and her eyes were neon yellow. They radiated wisdom and strength. Just the kind of companion you need in life. And because of her age and wisdom, I always treated her with the utmost respect.

"Lady L/n. My pleasure to assist you. How can I help?"

I turned to look at Kakashi as he stepped closer and gave the large owl a bow. "Lady Fukurō, I was hoping we could ask you to help us and be our eyes in the sky. We are looking for Itachi Uchiha and w-"

"No."

The answer from my loyal summoning was quick and sharp. I didn't even expect her to react the way she did. Most of the time lady Fukurō was a picture of well manners and formalities.

Our whole group stayed silent and Kakashi shot me a look of confusion at the immediate refusal of the white owl.

"The last time lady L/n was close to Itachi he almost broke her. And now you're asking me to help you find him. To bring my dear friend and master close to him. I cannot comply with that request if it ends up hurting my master. Not with a clear perception that is."

"Lady Fukurō," Kakashi soothed as he stepped closer and bowed again. "Please. The future of one of my most impressive students is being threatened by the Akatsuki, the group of S-ranked criminals that Itachi has formed an alliance with. We truly need your help to find him."

"I'm sorry young man but I'm afraid I cannot assist you in this matter."

I decided I had to do something. Kakashi clearly had a plan and to make this plan a success, he needed her.

"Yuki..."

I never called my summoning by her first time when there were other people around. It triggered the response I was hoping for. Her bright yellow eyes focussed on me as I stepped closer and placed my hand on her large beak. "Wise, old friend... I beg you. Listen to my husband. His only goal in life is to make sure I'm happy, loved, and well protected. If he is asking you to help us, he does this with a clear plan that cannot succeed without you. And besides, there is much I still need to tell you."