Lost

Itachi's cremation had been a few days ago but I couldn't get myself to move. The Akatsuki didn't ask questions. I just stayed in Itachi's room, contemplating over my life and what I wanted.

Saying farewell to Itachi had shaken me to my core and now I felt lost in my own life. I didn't know where I came from nor where I was going and so I did the only thing that felt logical to me. I remained in my spot and tried to figure out what to do.

The knock on the door pulled me from my thoughts and I rose to my feet to open the door but it opened before I could reach it. Kisame stepped into the room and quickly closed the door behind him. "Pein would like to have a word with you," he stated flatly.

"Okay."

I stepped closer but Kisame didn't move and I didn't know what to make of it until the large hybrid opened his mouth again. "You shouldn't go and meet Pein. You just run away from here. As hard and as fast as you can. Itachi fought Pein every step of the way to make sure you wouldn't become a member," Kisame said as he stared down at me with cold eyes. "Yet here you are. Disobeying and tainting his final wish by staying here."

"Kisame, there are things you don't know," I said as I moved to walk past him but he countered and continued to block my way.

"Listen Y/n, I am a loyal member and if I didn't respect Itachi as much as I did, I wouldn't even bother to tell you this. I know you miss Itachi and that you wish to hold onto him but he's gone and you shouldn't be here. Go home."

"On the contrary of what you think Kisame," I said as I softly pushed him out of my way. "I no longer have a home to return to."

My steps were silent as I made my way through the dimly lit hallway. By the looks of it, most of the members were out or resting in their rooms. I wasn't even sure what time it was let alone that I remembered what day we were currently living.

My hand trembled slightly as I reached to knock but before my fist could touch the wood a deep voice called out to me. "Enter."

Only a few candles were burning so the room was almost completely dark. The only thing I could see was the man sitting behind the desk.

"You know why I asked you to come?" Pein asked as he looked up from his scroll.

"I have an idea what it is that you want to discuss," I answered as I closed the door behind me and walked closer to his desk. "You want to know if I'm going to join and replace Itachi."

"Wrong."

Pein rose to his feet and moved closer. I could feel the cold that radiated from his skin. It was a weird sense of cold, almost the same as Itachi's skin felt after he had died. Ice-cold, and yet, Pein stood before me and walked around like any other human I had encountered before.

"You will replace Itachi as Kisame's partner. I am sending you on your first mission and I expect you to fully cooperate. You might be able to resist my shinra tensei but I have other powers that will not be so easily defeated," Pein warned. "Kisame. Enter."

The door opened and the large hybrid walked in. As always, Samehada was on his back and a smirk was on his face although it wavered for a bit when he saw me in the office.

"Y/n will replace Itachi as your partner. Your first mission together starts tomorrow. Tobi will accompany you as well," Pein said as his eyes traveled from Kisame to me. "To help Y/n get used to our way of doing things."

In other words, Tobi would be accompanying us to make sure that I didn't run away. Not that I would anyway, but still. Being surrounded by Tobi and Kisame wasn't my exact idea of having a good time.