Like a thief in the night

Obito was quick to escort me back to one of the hideouts. This one was abandoned. No soul around as he guided my broken self through the dark hallways. In his left hand, he was holding a torch to guide us, his right was wrapped around my waist to keep me close to him. I didn't know why he was suddenly so keen on taking care of me. I didn't care either. My whole world was destroyed. The sense of sanity forsaken the moment I opened the door to my bedroom and saw my husband have sex with someone else in our bed.

And to guide me down an even darker path, I loathed myself for forcing myself onto Obito. Adding insult to injury, shame to humiliation. Since when did I become this fragile? Did I not fight my way back, free myself from the paralyzed state Itachi left me in when I thought he just left me after killing his clan? I had convinced myself that I wasn't weak. That I had overcome all the curveballs life had thrown at me but I turned out to be a failure. I was a weak excuse for a kunoichi, a shame to Konoha. Why would I ever return? There was nothing left for me in the leaf. What waited for me behind the large green gate? Other than the elders who had condemned my first love to live in exile and die a painful death. Not even my husband was waiting for me. I had thought he would be waiting for me, angry that I lied and disappeared. Flung myself into harm's way and danger without even letting him know. Keeping him in the dark from what would be the mission of a lifetime. But the Kami's didn't even allow me that.

A turn to the right, down the dark hallways and Obito and his torch being the only source of light in my life. Was this what Itachi had felt in the last few months of his life? The dark slowly but certainly creeping up your mind and swallowing you whole?

Another turn and then we stood in front of a door. The warmth of Obito's arm around my waist disappeared for a moment as he reached for the doorknob. The door squeaked as it turned inward and Obito waited for me to move past him into the dark room.

There was a double bed standing against the wall on the right, a desk against the wall on the left. One door across from where I was standing, most likely leading to an ensuite bathroom.

A warm hand on the small of my back gently nudged me forward. A gesture that was too soft to feel familiar. I moved forward but the hand remained around my body, guiding me to the middle of the room until he left me standing alone for a second. With a click, a soft glow of light illuminated the room and Obito's breath was used to extinguish the flames.

"You must be freezing."

The comment came suddenly. Unexpected. But he wasn't wrong. Underneath his Akatsuki cloak, I was as naked as the day I was born. My clothes had been destroyed on the KIA stone. Torn to pieces just like my heart. Left in the mud to rot and perish with no soul to care.

I didn't answer, I didn't move. As soon as I saw Kakashi and Anko, my mind had broken down. I couldn't find words anymore, I couldn't think, I couldn't move. I was frozen and left in the dark. No sense of direction that would help me find my way back to the dark.

"Y/n-chan?"

The warmth of his body pressed against my back, strong arms wrapped around my waist as he pulled me closer to him. "I'm sorry Y/n-chan. I... I just lost my head a bit when I saw the Hatake crest on yo..."

The rest of his words didn't even reach me anymore. The idea that all my clothes were now linked with his last name made me sink. My entire life was linked with Kakashi. Even if I would open my scroll to gather my things, I would still be confronted with the Hatake name. Whatever I did, no matter how hard I tried to silence my mind, I would never get rid of it. I had nothing. Nothing that wasn't tainted. I felt disgusted. With myself, with my life and most of all, with my body.

"I need a shower."

My words interrupted Obito's. I stepped away from his embrace without a care in the world. Because would it really matter if he got mad and killed me? If you ask me, it wouldn't. My feelings had died. Including the ones, I would harbor for myself. There was nothing left. I was empty.