"See me"

Obito had woken me up in the late of the afternoon and told me that we were going to Konoha in four days. That was all that stood between me and my former home. Was I ready to go back? Not even in the slightest. But what choices did I have? Fight Obito over it? Not an option. Opening up to him and revealing that I didn't want to go? Not a chance. Whatever plan popped up in my head, it was just as quickly dismissed as a bad option. Nothing would save me from this painful experience.

So now, against my silent will, I was on the way to Konoha. I was keeping quiet and made sure to keep my head down. I didn't want to be there for whatever they were doing there. Obito had just told me it was a mission to collect something. He didn't specify what and I didn't ask. I didn't want to know either. I just wanted to get this over with and get as far away from the leaf as I could. There was nothing left for me there.

Pein and Konan, followed by the rest of the pierced freaks, were walking up front, Obito in the middle, and I lingered to the back of the group. There was an eery silence between the us. Nobody spoke, no sounds were made other than our feet hitting the ground and the wind rustling the leaves.

I kept looking all around me. Amazed by the scenery around me. Taken back by the unexpected feelings it woke within me. Why didn't I ever notice before how beautiful the forest around Konoha was? Why had I been blind to its natural beauty? Had I really never been able to see this after Itachi left me? Had him leaving me left me blind while I thought I was still able to see? Did he take my sight with him when he left?

The irony of the thought wasn't wasted on me. A ghost of a smile caressed my lip, faintly and no longer than the flash of a second but it had been there. For the first time in months, I smiled.

"You look happy today."

Obito had glanced over his shoulder, his timing as impeccable as I had grown accustomed to over the last few months. He always noticed things that I tried to keep hidden. Faces that he wasn't supposed to see. But he was so perceptive that it was cunning. As if he really did have eyes in the back of his head.

His trend slowed down until he was falling in step with me. His face remained forward but I could feel that he was using the small opening in his mask to try and decipher if I would give any kind of reaction. Any sign that I acknowledged his words or denied them. I would give him what he was searching for. I didn't do that often, but today was different. Maybe, if I could get his attention focused on me, I wouldn't have to step a foot in that darn village. "Not particularly happy or sad."

My words were flat, my emotions hidden under layers and layers of lies that I had told myself to make me feel numb. But during the last few months, Obito was looking for ways to break through my barriers. Way to make me reveal the feelings inside me. I didn't know if he truly cared but I highly doubted that. The most likely scenario would be that he was trying to figure out where my loyalty lay. Searching what kind of label he could stick on me and give me a rating as friend or foe.

Obito remained silent as he walked next to me. I didn't know where to look or what to do. How to keep talking to him without giving away my inner turmoil. The battle of loyalty that had died down over the last few months and that now was violently fighting its way back to the front of my mind again. Like Autumn and spring, fighting their battle to see who would rule the new days. The sun of spring or the rain of autumn. Gloom or shine? Who would come out as victor?

The soft gesture from Obito that followed hit me out of nowhere. His gloved fingers slipped between mine, lacing the digits until he had a firm yet gentle hold on my hand. "I would understand if this is hard for you."

His voice was hushed, his head still facing forward to not draw the attention of Konan and the orange-haired freak squad. "This used to be your home. This is where you have lived your life. You have loved and grieved here, smiled and cried. This place must trigger some kind of emotional response from you." He squeezed my hand, a comforting gesture. It reminded me of an anchor that kept a ship steady during a storm. It would hold it down, making it impossible for the wind to steer it away and yet, it also kept the ship bound to shore whenever it felt like staying there. Now there was just the silent question on who was in charge of that anchor. Was it me? Would I be able to pull up the chains and set sail again whenever I wished? Or was Obito the captain? The first in command whom's orders I have to follow?