"This resembles a situation from a long time ago"

The words flew out of my mouth before I could come to full terms of what that entailed. While I was still trying to figure out what I valued more, words were forced out of my mouth like I was someone's poppet. It was a good thing Sasori was dead otherwise I would have thought he had been handling me like one of his puppets.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Kakashi's eyebrow shoot up. He quickly composed himself and appeared to be as aloof as always. His gloved hands were quickly shoved in his pockets, his visible eye strained on the floor. As if he was conducting a thorough examination of the floor in search of dust or imperfections. But, knowing him as I do, I knew that he pulled up a front. A front that he tried to use as a mask to hide his eagerness to start with that I could only consider as a very poorly hidden attempt from Tsunade to get us to reconcile. And his reaction threw me off. His whole behavior threw me off.

One minute he was fighting Tobi for my affection, the second, he agreed with me that Tsunade shouldn't for us to interact. Was he fighting Tobi because he felt obligated? Did he fight him because he actually cared? Or was his response to Tsunade aligned with his actual feelings? Was he driven by guilt? A feeling of being superior? For someone who was married to the man, I had no clue on what his actual intentions were with his behavior. And that frustrated me to the level that I could feel my blood starting to boil.

"Good, I'm glad you have come to your senses." She leaned forward, her elbows leaning on the shining tabletop. "Your probation will be for at least 3 months, depending on how this turns out, it could be prolonged."

3 months... There would be at least 3 months in which Kakashi would be in my direct proximity. I nodded in understanding while I chewed on my bottom lip. These 3 months would be torture.

Tsunade allowed a small smile to grace her ageless features. She walked around the desk, her body moving with a grace that was so familiar to her. She lowered herself in her chair and reached for the top drawer on her right-hand side. The drawer opened with a screech and in her well-manicured hand, she held up a small scroll. "The timing might be a tad unfortunate but this mission has to be done so," She placed the scroll on the table. The blue ribbon didn't bode well. Most of the time, the color of the ribbon showed a glimpse of the difficulty level of the attached mission. The darker and more smokey the color, the harder the level of the mission. The ribbon around this particular scroll was a shade of deep night blue. It reminded me of a Victoria-crowned pigeon. The color of the small bird's chest couldn't be much darker than the robbin. "I'm afraid I have to send both of you for Kakashi to keep an eye on you."

Tsunade was almost able to keep the grin hidden from her features. Almost but not fully. I could almost hear her heart rate increase at the prospect of having something new to toy with. Or rather, someone new.

Kakashi slowly reached for the scroll, his fingers carefully closing around the parchment. "Where does this mission take place and when are we supposed to leave?"

Tsunade and Kakashi discussed the details, their tone of voice relaxed and calm as if this was just a regular day. Nothing new under the sun. It was as if having a mission with your estranged wife was a regular occurrence.

"The both of you will travel to the land of Yu," Tsunade said as she released the scroll into Kakashi's hand. "The details of this mission will be revealed when you get there. The address and your point of contact are in the scroll."

With a wave of her hand, she dismissed all who were in the room. I rose to my feet and waited for Kakashi to make the first move. He looked at the scroll in his hand, contemplating what to do with it before he decided to wait. He slipped the scroll into his pocket, his hand resting there before he pushed himself off the wall and moved past me. "Let's go home Y/n-chan."