Back to square one

(Kakashi's pov)

I was desperate. My mind was running as fast as my feet were. Around and around, back to the stone ruins where we have found the lingering signature of her chakra. Running to the spot where she had summoned Lady Fukuro to see if she might be there but that spot was empty as well.

I tried to keep myself in check. To keep my cool and come up with a plan but my mind was as empty as the patch of grass before me.

"Y/n!" I yelled as I twirled around and did my best to find anything that could point me in her direction. Just something that would give me the slightest bit of hope. "Y/n! Y/n-chan!"

"No need to shout," a sudden voice spoke from behind me and I turned around, ready to strike. "She can't hear you."

It was the masked stranger. The one who had been stalling us so we couldn't reach Sasuke in time.

"Where is she?" I barked as I tried to figure out a way to attack him. Every attack we had tried on him had failed so I didn't want to waste chakra with useless moves. I needed to think and think fast because it was more than clear that he knew something about Y/n that I didn't.

"What does it matter where she is," the masked weirdo asked. "She's better off when she isn't near you."

"And why would you think that?"

"I not only think that," he snapped as he suddenly appeared before me. "I know that."

His voice had dropped a few octaves and his way of speaking sparked a faint memory within me. I wasn't sure how but I felt like I knew him. Not just as the annoying burden that had delayed us long enough for Sasuke to escape but from before. Maybe even since my childhood.

"Who are you?"

"Your worst nightmare," He opened his hand, the black glove hiding his skin so that wasn't providing any clues. "I am the one who knows your deepest desires and your biggest fears."

The way he said it. It made hairs stand on the back of my neck.

"And what do you tend to you with that assumption of yours?" I questioned as I watched him curiously. I was waiting for any information he would let slip. Anything that would reveal the slightest insight on where Y/n could be.

In the palm of his hand, a small blue and white flame appeared.

"She's in pain. Crying salty tears that bite hear skin as they fall from her eyes." I stared in the smalls and slowly a silhouette appeared. A woman on a bed, her arms wrapped around her knees as she pressed her face into her skin. Her shoulders shocked and my heart clenched when I heard her muffles sobs and whimpering.

"What have you done to her?"

I charged without thinking. Chidori in hand, the sound of a thousand birds traveling far and wide as I aimed to hit him, but he swiftly moved out of the way and my chakra made the wall behind him explode.

"I have done nothing other than taking her to safety. Just like Itachi would have wanted."

He held up his hand again, and now I could hear her. The desperation in her voice. The sound of heartache and pain as she screamed and wailed.

"Itachi! Itachi! Don't leave me! Itachi!"

Her face was puffy and her skin stained. The last bit of strength left my body when I saw her so broken, so pain and hurt. My legs gave out and I sunk to my knees as I watched the masked stranger walk closer. I could swear I saw him smile behind the orange plastic. It was as if I could feel his happiness as he watched me crumble.