Unfamiliar Familiar

I will never forget that moment. The incredible pain when Itachi's stretched out his hand toward Sasuke and his gentle smiled played on his lips.

"I'm sorry Sasuke. This is the last time."

Whispered words that only reached me because I was close enough to hear. Before Itachi's eyes closed he looked sideways and shot me one last glance. Eyes filled with love and even a hint of happiness stared at me before his body gave out and he fell forward. The sound of his face hitting the wall and slowly sliding down made my stomach turn.

I hurried forward without thinking and turned Itachi around. His eyes were empty. His soul had left his body and every last drop of desperation could be heard in the blood-curdling scream that escaped me. I slipped an arm under his check and slowly lifted him the tiniest bit so I could hold him. My fingers shook when I gently brushed some loose hairs from his face. I carefully closed his eyes and chocked on the sob that forced itself out of me.

Tears fell on Itachi's pale cheeks and I moved to wipe them away but a hand wrapped around my wrist.

"He doesn't deserve your tears," Sasuke growled as he stared down at me. "He didn't cry when he killed our clan. He didn't once look back when he left us!"

Sasuke, steered by the anger and sadness of all those years was crying now too. He didn't realize it yet but tears fell from his eyes as he stared down at me and his dead brother.

"He doesn't deserve your love nor your tears! He hated ou-"

"Itachi didn't hate the clan and he did not hate you Sasuke," I said as I let my eyes fall back on Itachi's face. "He loved you more than life itself Sasuke."

"You're lying!"

Sasuke's voices carried far and wide. I could see the turmoil in his eyes. The desperation of not knowing what to do if my words held any truth to them.

"He did Sasuke. Itachi was faced with an impossible task that night. He did it to protect and save you. The el-"

"Well well, it seems I'm not the only one who knows the truth about Itachi."

I didn't know this voice and my guard shot up. I pulled my wrist free from Sasuke's grip and watched carefully as a masked figure appeared, wearing an Akatsuki cloak. The mask was familiar, the hair as well, but the voice that sounded from behind the orange wasn't that of Tobi. This voice was deeper, more mature. Either Tobi had been deceiving the larger part of the Akatsuki or he had a split personality.

"I should have known that Itachi sooner of later would tell you everything," the masked figure said as he stepped closer. "We meet again Y/n-chan."

"Tell me, is Tobi a persona or do you have a personality disorder that we should discuss?"

A deep chuckle and a step forward from 'Tobi' made me decide that it ever was the time, it was now. I started to gather chakra behind my eyes. Slowly and tiny bit by tiny bit as to not alert Sasuke or Tobi of it.

"Well I guess you do have the right to get one sort of explanation," the deep voice said. "But not here and not now."

"And why is that?" I asked as I silently reached for my pouch. My fingertips just reached the handle of a kunai and took an iron hold when 'Tobi' suddenly appeared between me and Sasuke.

"Tsk, don't be stupid Y/n-chan," he whispered as he increased the strength of his hand. "You and I both know that you can't hurt me with a simple kunai."

"Don't touch her!" Sasuke yelled as he reached for the male. How Tobi did it is beyond me but his grip on me was lost and Sasuke's hand moved through him, almost sending him tumbling through the ground.