A traitor of the Leaf

I looked up and I swear my breathing stopped. Kakashi, as weak as he was right now. Pinned under trash, his body bruised and beat, and still, he called out to me.

"Baby... You're b-back."

I could hear the smile in his voice. The happiness and desperation radiated from him. But what should I do? What could I do? Why didn't my brain decide my next action?

"Y/n-chan."

Obito's voice. A lot more firm than Kakashi's. Certain in his words and actions as he walked over to me. He stood before me, his hanging easily at his sides. "I know you're fighting an internal battle now love."

He removed the glove from his hand and softly caressed my cheek with the back of his hand. "And I wish I could help you make that decision. But you have to make it. I can't force you to do what I want you to do. You need to do what you want to do. Because forcing you, making you decide what I want you to, hurting you with my actions. That isn't something you do to the people you love."

He slowly leaned into me and placed a soft, lingering kiss on my forehead. Soft and tender. Just like the words he spoke. His lips remained there, two maybe three seconds before an angry growl interrupted the moment.

"L-let go of her!"

"Why copycat? You're the one that cheated on her. The one who screwed someone else in your marital bed. I never did anything to hurt her. That was on you." Obito turned sideways, his hands still cupping my cheeks. "You claim to love her, yet, you're the one who hurt her. You're the one who broke her. So don't you dare make demands."

This feeling. It was new. Desperation times at least a thousand. I was pulled in all directions. Left, right, forward, backward. Every option in my mind was followed by a multitude of at least a thousand options more. And none of them, not even one, felt right.

I couldn't leave Kakashi there to die. I couldn't walk away from Obito. Turning my back on Naruto was out of the question. Allowing the innocent citizens of Konoha to get hurt, was never an option. But whoever I would choose, Kakashi or Obito, the consequences were terrible either way. Because, no matter how I sliced it, people I cared about would be hurt.

It didn't even matter if it was Kakashi. Our relationship was too messy to take into consideration right now anyway. My mind was racing to all the people I loved before this whole shit show had started. Yamato, Naruto, Iruka. So many more. I couldn't allow them to get hurt just because I was angry at Kakashi. Maybe I even started to hate him when he broke my heart, but I couldn't walk away from a hurt comrade. I couldn't do it. This went against everything I believed in. Everything I was taught. I couldn't do it. No matter how angry I was. At Kakashi, at Konoha and its leaders. I couldn't turn my back on him.

I placed my hand on Obito's lingering one. The warmth of his palm gently rested against the skin of my cheek. He turned his face, looking at me through his mask.

"I'm sorry... But I can't let you do this."

With a gentle motion, I removed his hand from my cheek. I stepped towards Kakashi and already my heart started to hurt. Another step, further away from Obito and the pain increased again. I could feel his chakra flair. Violently and angry. Betrayal lingering in his aura.

"Baby, I-"

"Just because I'm saving your ass doesn't mean you get to call me baby Hatake," I snapped as I grabbed the first piece of rubble. I threw it to the side and reached over for a second piece when a voice, so broken and hurt made my heart clench once more.

"I was sure that you left me. That I fucked it up and that you would never return to me."

I didn't answer Kakashi. I continued to grab rubble and throw it to the side. I worked while trying to ignore the immense flair of angry energy that was on my six. Obito's breathing was growing heavy as if he was fighting a fierce battle on how to deal with me. Strike or let go. Attack or retreat. He couldn't figure out what to do. And as long as he remained frozen, I was able to continue rescuing my cheating husband.