The Final Battle

The voice was deeper than in my memory

The voice was deeper than in my memory. It reminded me of Itachi. The way he spoke and the tone of voice. Although this tone held something rude, something I had never heard in Itachi's voice. 

His hairstyle hadn't changed. It still looked like a duck's butt but before me stood a young man, no longer the boy I once knew. His eyes, dark as the night were cold as he stared at Deidara who was still hovering over me. Taller than when he left Konoha, more muscular and chakra that could be felt around him. Lightning nature for sure.

"Get off me!" I yelled as I wiggled between Deidara, trying to get away. The mouths on his hands licked and nibbled on my flesh and the feeling made me sick but I couldn't do anything to get him off. After the sage jutsu healing, I still didn't dare to try and use my eyes, afraid that I again would be left in the dark but I didn't have a lot of choices left until Sasuke arrived.

"Pathetic Y/n. I once thought you were a great kunoichi. It appears I was wrong." Sasuke moves closer. His dark eyes focussed on Deidara as he assessed the situation.

"She said to get off her," Sasuke said in a bored tone. His hand was nonchalantly resting on the katana strapped to his hip. "Is that girly hair stuck in your ear or something?"

Deidara growled in anger as he jumped up and pulled me up with him. As soon as I stood I hurled my fist to Deidara's face, full force. A sickening crack sounded over the field the moment my fist made a connection with Deidara's skin.

I used the opportunity to create distance between me and Deidara but I didn't move toward Sasuke either. I know this mission was to bring him back but I had a feeling that Sasuke wouldn't come quietly. And since I had a fairly good idea how much Sasuke and his powers had grown, I knew I needed back up.

We were in a three-way stare down. I tried to reach for my pouch and grab a flare so I could use it to signal Kakashi and the others for help but as soon as I moved, Sasuke appeared before me. His hand on the handle of his katana, ready to strike if the urge surfaced.

"Don't."

That one word, filled with so much dominance that the hairs on the back of my neck rose. I could only guess what Sasuke had in mind but I had a feeling that I wasn't out of the woods yet. For some reason, Sasuke, with his dark eyes and handsome Uchiha features, filled me with an anxious feeling and put my senses into high alert. He wasn't here to save me. Something else, far more siniter lingered in his eyes.

"What are you planning Sasuke?" I asked as I let my hand fall next to my body. I scanned his face, hoping I could look him in the eyes as I had done many times when he was smaller and did something bad, but his face was turned towards Deidara.

"Answer me Sasuke," I repeated as I grabbed his arm and forced him to look at me. "What are you planning? Why are you helping me? You hate the memory of Konoha and yet here you are. Helping the one person that will always be linked to your brother."