The one he couldn't keep - Kakashi's pov

Kakashi's pov

I don't think I ever will get used to going to a wake or funeral. The sadness that lingers in the air is suffocating. My black kimono felt as if it restricted my chest from expanding as I breathed.

I walked closer to the white stone that announced Asuma's last place to rest. 'I'm sorry that I wasn't there to save you Asuma...'

The white rose in my hand seemed so small as I placed it upon the white marble. 'Bye friend.'

I walked further and expected a small hand to slip into mine but when I looked back I could see Y/n hand graze over the kanji on Asuma's grave. Her eyes were red and puffy a clear sign that she hadn't been able to keep her tears in. Yamato walked closer to her and wrapped an arm around her waist, whispering something to her that prompted her into action.

With his arm still around Y/n's hip, Yamato brought her to me. I held out my hand to her and asked the question that I had been asking her several times a day. "You okay?"

She answered the way she had been doing for days now. A lifeless nod as her fingers laced themselves with mine. I wanted to know why she continued to say she was fine when it was so clear she wasn't. I knew she and Asuma knew each other before we started dating but I wasn't sure how well. As far as I was aware it didn't go any further than the regular friendship. But seeing her like this, so broken and pained over this made me question that assumption.

My mind was pulled back to the present when Tenzo mentioned Asuma's students. "I don't think I ever saw Ino that upset," Yamato mentioned as he looked over his shoulder to the right. Ino was crying silently and Choji had his arm wrapped around her shoulder as he guided her back. The Akimichi boy's cheeks were stained by tears as well but he took the responsibility to watch over his teammate as they went home.

"Did you see Shikamaru?" I asked Tenzo as I searched the crowd of people who made their way back to the village.

Tenzo shook his head, "I heard people whispering about it as well. He wasn't there..."

I remained silent but made a mental note that I needed to have a talk with Shikaku about it. It wasn't that it was my job or anything but Shikamaru was one of the genin that could become a very exceptional shinobi and this, the darkness that followed the loss of a sensei, was something I was familiar with. It needed to be addressed and it had to be done quickly.

"Really strange don't you think Y/n-chan?" Tenzo asked but it remained silent. I looked down on my left where Y/n was walking but she was totally absorbed by her thoughts. I shot a look at Tenzo but he simply shrugged his shoulders and moved in front of her. "Hey, are you listening?"

She jumped a little at the sudden closeness with Tenzo but quickly recovered as she stretched out his hand and ran it through his brown locks. "Sorry Yama. I was just spacing off a little."

"Anything you want to share with me and Kakashi?"

I saw Y/n's eyes flash with anger but only for a split second. She recovered very quickly from her pique in emotions as she answered him. "No, just my mind wandering off."

The look that Yamato shot her didn't go unnoticed by me but I decided that I would address this later. if I would ask her now Yamato but surely be on the receiving end of her anger and I didn't want to be responsible for causing a scene in public.

After we went home and Yamato stayed for dinner but as soon as I walked him out and I returned to the kitchen my curiosity won. "What was that about earlier today with Tenzo?"

She flinched slightly but shrugged her shoulders and continued to do the dishes.

"Nothing special. Don't worry about it."