The breakdown

---Obito's pov---

"I'm still Mōmoku!"

Her words. They kept repeating themselves in my mind. Her voice, loud and clear. Like she was standing right next to me. The look in her eyes. So honest and yet, I couldn't believe her. I couldn't believe that, after everything, she still sided with the Leaf. That after all the pain that was caused by the leaders of that dammed village, she would still side with them. What was the magical hold that that village had on her? Was it because it was there that she lost her heart to Itachi? Was it that she fell in love there? Was it because she was born and raised there? What made her pick that damn village over me?

I sighed for what felt like the 500th time that night as I turned on my back and put my hands behind my head. I stared at the white ceiling of my room and tried to silence my mind but it was useless. The scene kept replaying. Her desperate call to me as I turned my back on her. Was she genuine? Or was this her last-ditch effort to keep me there and see if some of her fellow shinobi could capture me? Part of me wanted it to be about her and me. I wanted it to mean that she still longed for me. That she didn't mean to hurt and leave me. That she wanted to stay by my side. But why couldn't she accept that I was creating a better world? Not just for me but also for her?

The bed protested as I turned around again, now facing her side of the bed. Her side? Did I really think that? Since when did she have a side? It was just that she always ended up there. But was it truly her place? Next to me, being my right-hand confidant. Being my woman. Was that her place?

I shook my head and ran a hand through my tousled hair. Was she even alive? I knew that the freak with the corpses didn't make it. The ninetails had convinced Nagato to give up on the plan. And like the weakling that he was, that ginger allowed himself to be persuaded by a mere child. I growled in annoyance and pushed myself up from the bed. "No sleep for the wicked anyway."

I made my way through my room and down the hall. I didn't know what I was looking for. I didn't know what it was that my mind needed to calm down. It just kept running in the same circle. Questioning every moment I had with Y/n and replaying our last few moments together. Did she survive that ugly path's attack? Even if she didn't, I knew that Nagato used his Rinne rebirth technique, meaning that everyone who died that day by the hand of one of the paths would be brought back from the dead. So even if her heart had stopped it was now beating again. And the idea made me clench my teeth and fists.

She was with him. Kakashi. She was now, once again, at his side. That motherfucker would most likely try to get her to talk. And he if didn't, Tsunade would darn well try. If that failed they would let Inoichi search around in her brain until they found what they were looking for. The idea of someone touching her. Maybe hurting or even worse, torturing her made my blood run cold. Why did this affect me? What did I care? She had abandoned me. Left me alone while I did nothing but care for her. I had sheltered her from pain and heartache for so long. Not this is how she repaid me? By turning away from me as soon as he had the chance?

But then, why? Why in gods green earth would she call out to me like that? Her eyes filled with pain, her voice trembling as she called out to me. For fucks sake, what had she done to me?

I slumped down on a seat and buried my head in my hands. What did she do to me? What kind of which craft jutsu was this? What made me long for her? Made me think of her while I should never have been thinking about her in the first place. What made her turn against me? Was it the plan to create a new world? Was it a bad plan? It would save her pain, hurt and sorrow. It would be a paradise. The ideal world in which we would be together without any interruptions or distractions. The perfect world, just for us. Why didn't she want that? Why didn't she want a future with me? Why?