The one he couldn't keep

The sun was out and shining brightly. There was no cloud in the sky to ruin the sunny rays of light. No breeze to send a cold shiver down my spine as we gathered around the freshly dug grave.

You promised me that you would never leave...

When Kurenai stepped forward and sunk down on her knees, placing a bouquet on Asuma's grave, I felt my heart crumble. The sorrow radiated from her. It drifted through the air as easily as the memories of my times with Asuma drifted through my mind.

The idea that she would be alone in raising her kid, Asuma's kid. It just hurt so much. It hurt to know that Asuma had suffered before he passed. That he had felt pain and despair to leave life while there was so much more he was supposed to do.

I stepped after Kakashi, following him in the line of people who were paying their respects.

"Un-uncle A-Asuma."

The sobs of Konohamaru made my heart clench even more.

You're leaving so many people who love you...

I placed the white rose on top of the marble headstone. I couldn't help but let my fingers linger on the kanji that spelled his name.

This isn't how this is supposed to go... This isn't fair...

"Y/n-chan..." Yamato urged as he wrapped an arm around my waist and ushered me to move again. I swallowed to help me push back my tears and walked towards Kakashi. "You okay?" he questioned as he held his hand for me to take.

I nodded and laced my fingers with his. Yamato fell in step next to us and he and Kakashi were talking but I couldn't keep my mind on the conversation.

How could you be so careless... Now you're leaving your baby before he or she has ever seen you...

My eyes turned to the sky, seeing that now the clouds were rolling in from the distance. The matched my current mood. Dark and depressing.

"Hey, are you listening?"

Yamato was suddenly in front of me, giving me a questioning look as he bent down a little to be at eye level. His eyes were friendly but I knew what he was trying to do.

"Sorry Yama," I answered as I ruffled his hair with my free hand. "I was just spacing off a little."

"Anything you want to share with me and Kakashi?"

I knew what Yamato was trying to do. Providing me with the opportunity to tell Kakashi what had happened between me and Asuma but I just couldn't. I didn't want him to think differently about his friend now that he was no longer around us to talk to Kakashi about it.

"No, just my mind wandering off."

I could see Yamato shoot me a look that screamed disapproval but he remained silent. Kakashi was smart enough to figure out that something was bugging us but he remained silent. That was until Yamato left our house hours later.

I was washing the dishes in our kitchen when Kakashi suddenly stepped behind me. "What was that all about earlier today with Tenzo?"

Shit... Dammit, Yamato!

"Nothing special. Don't worry about it."

Kakashi's hands were placed on the edge of the counter, boxing me in with his body. "Didn't seem like it," Kakashi answered lowly. His body was very close to mine. The heat slowly seeping into my back and bum as he leaned against me. "You know you can't fool me. Why do you even try?"