the choice is yours

I had no idea about how much time had passed. No notion if anybody was close to us, if anybody had been able to see or hear us. I didn't really care either. My emotions were in shambles. No sense of direction on where to go or what to do.

We were sprawled out on Obito's cloak, our limbs intertwined, my head resting on his chest. There was a sense of perfect tranquility around us, a peaceful atmosphere that cloaked us from anything and anyone.

"Will you ever see me Mōmoku?" Obito questioned as he turned on his side, his hand softly caressing my hair. "Will you ever see my true intentions and understand them?"

A deep sigh escaped me as I tried to find the words to respond to him. What could I say? I don't know if I can trust you? I don't know if I ever see your true colors? I have picked the wrong option so many times, I don't trust my own judgment anymore? Was it wise to show him the back of my tongue? To display all the weaknesses that were so palpable?

The silence continued, heavy and uncomfortable as it drifted over our heads.

"Well... I guess that's an answer too," Obito muttered as he released his arms from around me. He moved away and the sense of loneliness and cold made me shiver. A strong longing of being in his arms coursing through me. I quickly sat up, wrapping my arms around his waist as I leaned my cheek against his back. "That I'm not answering you right away just means that I was thinking about my answer." Obito tilted his head sideways, his singular eye focusing on my own. "I just don't want to answer you and say the wrong thing. The truth is that I don't know if I ever will fully trust you. How can I? I don't even trust myself right now."

"It isn't your fault that they hurt you Y/n-chan." He turned around, his arms immediately wrapping around my body again and pulling me against him. "They took advantage of you. Of your trusting and loving nature. Don't punish yourself for something they should be penalized for."

His kiss was gentle and soft. A gesture of reassurance. A way to protect me even if I wasn't allowing him to do just that. My arms slipped around his body with an ease that started to feel familiar. His hands on my cheeks filled me with a sense of home. Things that shouldn't become familiar, things I shouldn't get accustomed to, yet I was.

Obito's hands were guiding me towards his lap, pulling me close when a loud explosion made us flinch. "It's starting."

Obito stated is so flatly, so emotionless that I knew this was a planned attack. An assault planned to the smallest detail and with one simple end goal. And since Konoha had found out that the Akatsuki was targeting the tailed beast, I now understood why we were in Konoha. Obito easily lifted me from his lap and grabbed his clothes. I followed his example, quickly putting on my underwear before I turned back to him.

"We're here to capture Naruto?"

I couldn't hide the sharp edge in my voice. I still wasn't fully finished with my inner dialogue about my alliance towards Konoha, granted. But capturing Naruto and extracting his tailed beast, in other words, murdering him, was something I wasn't okay with.

"Is that going to be a problem?" Obito had put his pants back on and leisurely made his way back to me as he pulled his shirt over his head.

"That depends on how you want this to go down," I answered back. The words were out before I knew it. And to be honest, I don't even know why I said it like that but I did know that I didn't want Naruto to become a victim. Whatever Kakashi and Konoha had done to me, it wasn't Naruto who had to pay for that. He was an innocent bystander in the drama that was my life, I was not okay with him being targeted or becoming collateral damage.

We stood across from each other. The distance between us was about 6 feet but the feelings that floated there, so big and heavy, made it feel like we were miles away from each other. An ocean of opinions that separated us while we had been so close not even 5 minutes ago.

"You know what is going to happen Mōmoku."

Since when was his look so cold? So calculating and sharp? It reminded me of a broken mirror. I could see part of myself. Only small fractions but not the full picture. It was infuriating, annoying and above all frustrating. Because I didn't know what to do. I was torn between wanting to be cherished and doing what I knew was right. Protect the fragile connecting that had grown between me and Obito or protect Naruto. And as an extension of protecting Naruto, protecting Konoha and its citizens.

"You know," Obito suddenly said, breaking my chain of thought as he stepped closer. "I hoped that in the last few weeks I might have been able to open your eyes a bit. I call you Mōmoku but I truly hoped that you would see the world for what it truly is." He grasped my wrist, pulling me forward and my arm up until I was standing only an inch away from him, his power overwhelming me. "But your reaction now... The nickname I picked for you, it's more fitting than I imagined."

He flung my wrist away. No force in the action but so painful in the pit of my stomach. A slap in the face would have hurt less.

"I won't tell you what to do Y/n," Obito said as he turned his back to me, facing Konoha where grey smoke started to rise above. "But in the world that we're creating you wouldn't feel pain anymore. It would be so peaceful. A heaven on earth. A place where you can be truly happy."

The air around him started to transfer as it did when he teleported away.

"But as I said, the choice is yours."

Before I could think of a reply, he was gone. The spot he has been standing now is abandoned and empty. And his last words left me with more questions than answers. What was his plan? What world was he talking about? And who was the 'we' he had mentioned?

---Obito's pov---

I was able to keep my anger in check for the bigger part of the conversation but frustration was at an all time high. Why was she still being loyal to Konoha? What did she care if something happened to the nine-tails? Why couldn't she see that I was acting in her best interest?

I reappeared in the middle of chaos. Konoha was in shambles. Buildings were smoking piles of rubble and people were screaming, running around like headless chickens.

A flash of orange on my right made me turn around and one of Pein's paths was throwing bombs left and right. No emotion on that dead face. Just cooly throwing explosives to whatever target he found. No regard for human life what so ever.

Not unexpected for the dead I suppose.

"Where is she."

A shiver of excitement ran over my spine when I heard the deep voice of my enemy behind me. I turned around and smirked behind the orange plastic mask that kept my identity hidden.

His mask only covered the lower part of his face but it didn't hide the anger. I could see the tautened muscles of his jaw. His fists clenched to his sides.

"Where she wants to be."

This was my chance. My moment to finally taunt him. To hurt him like he had hurt me. I wanted to see him break. I wanted to see him crumble. Like the ruins that stood around him. Destroyed and burning.

His hand reached behind him and slipped inside his pouch but before he could pull out his weapon, I had warped behind him and had his wrist in an iron hold.

"You cannot win a fight against me copy-cat," I hissed as I grabbed his hair with my free hand. "Not for the future of Konoha nor for Y/n's heart."