They/Them

request by Ailsa_Weasley 

It's not super long but that works better for this one shot

Random fact: I probably already said this but I am ~nonbinary~

Disclaimer: I don't own Marvel.

3rd Person P.O.V.

Peter Parker had a secret.

It was a new secret, one that they had realized just over a month ago. They hadn't been completely sure until about a week ago, when they asked Harley, their boyfriend, to use a different set of pronouns. It just felt right, like this was who Peter was really meant to be.

Yes, Peter Parker was nonbinary.

Now, this in itself put the teen in a tricky situation. They could find themself a new name, to match the new set of pronouns. Or keep the name Peter, and just ask people to use they/them instead. The young brunette decided, at least for the time being, to keep the name Peter. They always had liked their name in the past, why should that be any different now? With that problem out of the way, Peter focused on their other problem.

Peter was Spiderman, New York City's local vigilante and crime fighter. Now, this was the young hero's choice: keep the name Spiderman, or change it to be more gender neutral. But what would that even be? Spiderperson? Peter wasn't too sure they liked that too much.

Peter sighed. This was harder than they imagined. Picking up their phone, Peter called Harley, hoping the southern boy would be able to help.

"Of course darlin', I'll be right over." And with that, Harley hung up, leaving Peter to listen to the obnoxious dial tone. The brunette laid down on their bed, staring up at the domed ceiling while waiting for Harley.

The blond knocked on Peter's door quietly, just in case. A soft "come in" was stated, and Harley walked in.

"You alright darlin'?" Peter glanced at Harley from their seat on the bed.

"I don't know what to do," they sighed. Harley nodded, joining the smaller person on the bed. "Spiderman just seems too... masculine. But I don't know if I want it to change, I do like the name."

"Spiderperson?" Harley suggested. Peter crinkled their nose, frowning.

"I don't like the sound of it. But what else is gender neutral?" They wondered. Harley thought for a moment.

"Spiderfriend? Spiderenby? Spider..." The southern boy paused. "Maybe Spiderman could be sorta gender neutral. Like 'man' as a general term, or as in 'human?'" Peter tilted their head in interest. If they could find a good hero name that wasn't obviously gender binary related, Peter would gladly take it. "Or maybe just Spider? I don't know how we could find a good name."

"I'm not even sure if I want to change it," Peter sighed. "I don't know. I just want people to respect my pronouns, and if I'm called Spiderman, I don't think they will." Harley nodded slowly, trying his best to understand his significant other's feelings.

"Have you considered just... announcing your pronouns? I'm sure a lot of people would respect that," the blond pointed out.

"A lot of people isn't all people," Peter murmured, wrapping their arms around their knees self-consciously. Harley furrowed his eyebrows, turning Peter toward him and forcing intense eye contact.

"Fuck 'em. Darlin', you are so, so valid. You don't owe them shit. You're the hero of New York City, and I think a lot of people will respect that and use your pronouns." Peter flashed a tiny smile. "You deserve the world, darlin'. I just wish I could give it to you."

"You are my world," the brunette grinned, moving into Harley's lap. "Thank you, Harls. I love you." The southern boy pressed a soft kiss to Peter's forehead, wrapping his arms around the smaller person.

"I love you too."

*starts singing* nonbinary people don't owe you shit~

Requests?