Blue Gills pt 2

part 2!

i was listening to two trucks by lemon demon toward the end of this and i suppose it made the chapter a little more ~interesting~

so yeah its somewhat lime at certain parts but mostly angsty fluff

Disclaimer: I don't own Marvel.

3rd Person P.O.V.

"I never said I didn't want you to take it."

Peter was frozen. He had no idea how to even respond to something like that. Harley had given him a gift, and Peter had accepted it... which was the human equivalent of accepting a marriage proposal.

"Darlin'." Harley kneeled down to the edge of the water, awfully close to Peter. The siren just stared, mouth agape. He was so confused and conflicted. A gentle hand caressed his cheek, running over where skin merged with scales.

"You accepted it for a reason, and I think I know why. But I need you to be honest with me, ok?" Harley spoke carefully, maintaining eye contact with the brunette. Peter nodded dumbly, completely mesmerized by Harley. "Do you like me?"

Peter took a deep breath, immediately looking away and turning his gaze to the surface of the water. His distorted reflection stared back at him, almost tauntingly.

"...Yes..."

"Look at me. Please." Peter glanced up, struggling to make eye contact. Harley didn't seem upset or disgusted, in fact, he was quite the opposite. The young scientist was smiling softly, face just inches away from Peter's. He leaned in impossibly closer, whispers dancing on his lips.

"Is this ok?" Harley asked. Peter's breath hitched, fins flexing as he nodded. Harley finally closed the gap between them, kissing the siren's smooth lips with a gentle passion neither of them had ever felt before.

Peter tasted of the sea, and Harley couldn't get enough. He deepened the kiss, Peter happily allowing access. Their tongues battled for a moment, before Peter gave up and let Harley explore his mouth eagerly.

When they finally pulled away, so they could get some oxygen back into their lungs, a thin string of spit connected their lips, a visual reminder of what had just happened. Harley was looking at Peter with a sad smile, pulling himself away from the young siren.

"I need to talk to you, actually." Peter's nerves spiked at that sentence. Harley seemed upset, and nothing good could come out of that...

"Yeah...?"

"I, um-" He sighed, shaking his head. "I'm going to allow you your freedom." Peter froze, eyebrows raised in surprise. "If you want it," Harley added.

"Why?" The brunette wondered. Harley sighed, closing his eyes in premature mourning.

"If you love something... let it go," he murmured. "I can't just keep you here against your will, I... I love you too much for that. You deserve your freedom."

"Harley-" Peter started, but the blond was having none of it, standing up to put his hand on a lever.

"Goodbye, Peter. I hope you find happiness in the ocean." Harley pulled the lever, and one of the walls of Peter's tank lowered, revealing a tube that led back to the open ocean. He glanced between Harley and the tube, completely torn. He had never seen the scientist so sad and withdrawn, and he wanted to comfort him (and maybe kiss again), but on the other hand... he could have his life back.

It was an impossible choice, one that Harley hadn't really expected any hesitancy on, clearly, judging by his confused look.

"You can go! Just... leave! Go home, back to the ocean where you belong! I won't let you waste away here, in this tank..." He let out a sigh, frowning deeply. "Please... don't make this harder then it has to be..." Peter looked back at the tube. He could leave right now, swim back out to sea and never look back on his time in captivity. So what was stopping him?

"...Harley..." Peter's voice broke, tears beginning to stream down his face.

"No! I- I never should've kissed you, it was a mistake and I'm sorry." Harley took a shaky breath, turning away and pointing out to sea. "Now leave, please, before I change my mind." Peter hesitated, shaking his head with a torn look on his face. He was quite distressed by the situation, and Harley wasn't helping to relieve any of the pressure the young siren was feeling.

He closed his eyes, ducking his head back under the water and curling into the corner of his tank. He didn't want to leave Harley. The scientist was the first person that had made Peter feel truly loved and cared for. What would be waiting for him if he went back, anyways? Just an endless stream of gifts from sirens who would use him for status!

Peter looked up at the sobbing scientist, image distorted by the slight ripple on the surface of the water. It had started to rain, small droplets falling from the darkening sky. The weather was doing nothing to lighten the mood.

Peter swam back to the surface, poking his head up slowly. Harley was only a few feet away from the edge of his pool, he could make it. With a determined nod, the siren swam to the edge, using his arms to pull himself forward as the water got too shallow to swim through. His tail slapped against the paved surface, catching Harley's attention immediately.

"GO!" The blond yelled, shaking his head. "Please, you can't stay here!" Peter just kept dragging himself up onto the pavement, ignoring Harley's cries of protest. He got close enough to wrap his arms around the scientist's legs, hugging his ankles. Harley's shoulders sagged, expression sad and mournful.

"Peter, please..." The brunette just tightened his hold on Harley, shaking his head. Harley kneeled down, gently prying Peter's arms off of him. "This isn't healthy. I... I practically kidnapped you!"

"I don't care! I love you!" Peter exclaimed, raindrops streaming down his face, looking like tears. Harley inhaled sharply, sighing forcefully.

"No you don't. You just think you do." If Peter wasn't frustrated before, he certainly was now.

"Because I do love you!"

"Peter," Harley spoke slowly and regretfully. "This isn't love. It... it's Stockholm syndrome, you're brainwashed. You have to go back to the ocean, don't you understand?"

"No! Listen to me! I've never felt this way about anyone before! Even if you did take me, I've never been treated so well in my entire life! You were the first one to see me as an actual living being with feelings, not just an object!" Peter was shaking from the effort of yelling. "You can't just... toss me out like garbage!" Harley ignored Peter's protests, scooping him up and setting him back in the water.

Yeah, Peter was pissed.

In one swift motion, Peter had grabbed the front of Harley's shirt and made him fall into the tank, kissing him underwater with more passion than their first kiss had contained. They both melted into the sweet kiss, until Harley made a small noise of discomfort and broke away, immediately being carried up to the surface to catch his breath.

"I'm staying here," Peter stated stubbornly. "I love you. And I'm not being forced to stay, either, I can leave if I want to."

"Peter-"

"Harley." Peter had never sounded so serious before. "Please, I really want to stay with you. I want real love, a real relationship. With you." Harley seemed to be at a loss for words.

"Ok," he finally replied, breathing softly. "But you know it's not going to be easy, right? Us?" Peter nodded, grabbing back onto Harley's soaked shirt.

"I know." He pecked the blond's lips sweetly, grinning. "But I'm willing to give it a shot." Harley matched Peter's grin, kissing him roughly.

"So am I," he agreed, taking a moment to breathe and appreciate Peter's unique beauty before leaning back in for another kiss. "Oh, and Peter?"

"Mm?"

"I love you too."

lmaooooo haven't updated in a hot minute my bad

although i was taking a break so yeah thats my excuse

anyways go check out some of my other books while you wait for a new update, i have more parley and i also have dreamnotfound stuff if you like that :)