He/She/They

request by stale_potatochip

This request is kinda old sorry I have no organization skills whatsoever 😓✌

AU- Harley lives in NYC with his mom and sister

Not an AU- I'm mentally unstable

CW: coming out

Disclaimer: I don't own Marvel.

3rd Person P.O.V.

Peter sighed, staring up at the ceiling. He felt stuck. Physically, he was fine, there was nothing keeping him in bed. But mentally? Peter just had a lot on their mind.

She had a secret, one that they wanted to share with his closest friends and family. One he especially wanted to share with Harley, their boyfriend.

Peter was genderfluid. And she went by any pronouns.

But nobody knew, so they never heard anything except for he/him used to refer to her. It was frustrating, even though Peter liked he/him pronouns, they would appreciate being called something else every once in a while.

Being genderfluid was difficult, considering his identity changed from time to time. Sometimes, Peter felt like a boy, and he didn't mind the constant usage of he/him pronouns. But other times, she felt like a girl, or they felt like neither- or maybe both- and got frustrated by the barrage of incorrect pronouns.

But it was time to change all that. Or, at least some of it. Hopefully.

Peter's boyfriend was coming over today. Harley had never been a mean or ignorant person, and that made him a good candidate for the first person Peter would tell. Harley was their everything, and she was Harley's world. It couldn't be that hard, right?

Or... maybe it's a little bit more difficult than expected. How do you even bring it up? How do you explain it, if they don't know? How do you reassure them that you're still the same person, because pronouns are only a small part of who you are as a whole?

How? How how how?

"Peter? You in here?" A gentle southern accent rung out against Peter's eardrums, letting them know that Harley was here. She took a deep breath, nodding to himself in reassurance.

"Yeah, come on in." Harley came in, leaving the door cracked to abide by Tony's rules.

"Hey. You feelin alright, darlin'?" Harley pressed the back of his hand to Peter's forehead, searching for a temperature.

"I'm not sick, Harls," he mumbled. Harley didn't pull his hand away, instead sitting on the bed and running his hand through Peter's hair comfortingly.

"Alright, but something's bothering you. Talk to me." Peter sighed, turning his head slightly so she was looking up at Harley.

"I... I wanted to talk to you, about something... something that's really important to me..." they murmured, glancing away.

"You know you can tell me anything, right? What's on your mind?" Peter took a deep breath, squeezing his eyes shut.

"I'm genderfluid!" Harley was silent for a moment, before nodding slowly.