"Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow"

request by alice71233

(title is a line from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet)

trying to get through all these requests... so much work to do... must stop procrastinating...

Disclaimer: I don't own Marvel.

3rd Person P.O.V.

"Harls..." Peter whimpered softly, his adorable doe eyes filled with pain and sorrow. "Please..."

"Darlin', you know I can't stay," Harley reminded, smiling sadly. "I love you so much. But I have to go." Peter shook his head, frowning.

"Why? You can stay here, go to school with me, and live in the tower!" He suggested. "We don't have to be apart!"

"Sweetheart..." Harley sighed, pressing his lips into a thin line. "I'm going back to Tennessee. That's final."

"But-"

"No." Peter's bottom lip quivered, tears threatening to spill from his eyes. Harley softened, reaching out to cradle the side of Peter's face. "Hey. I might be leaving New York, but I'm not leaving you. We can still call, plus we can arrange visits," Harley pointed out. His thumb brushed at Peter's cheekbone, wiping a tear away.

"Harls..." The brunette mumbled miserably. "Please don't leave."

"I know you don't want me to leave. I don't want to leave you either. But..." Harley sighed. "...my life isn't in New York. It's in Tennessee. At least for now."

"Then I'll come with you!" Peter cried, grabbing onto Harley's arm like his life depended on it. "I don't want to live without you."

"You won't." Harley gently uncurled Peter's fingers, releasing the grip on his arm. "I'll still be with you. Just... further away." Peter shook his head desperately. "You need to stay here. New York is where you belong, sweetheart."

"I belong with you!"

"Emotionally, I agree with you." Harley pressed a kiss to Peter's forehead, trying to console the boy. "But New York is your home. And Tennessee is mine," Harley reminded. "Maybe that'll change someday. After high school, probably."

"But that's so far away..."

"It seems far away, yeah. But think about it– less than two years from now, we'll both be high school graduates, looking for the next chapter of our lives." Harley smiled. "Maybe we'll go to college together. Maybe we'll travel. Who knows?"

"That does sound nice..." Peter mused.

"I agree," Harley hummed. "But we're not there yet. We still have two more years of high school before we get there."

"Yeah..." Peter sighed. "I guess you're right." Harley nodded, running a hand through Peter's hair affectionately.

"I am. And I know it's not what you wanted, but we can do long-distance," the blond replied. "It won't be that bad."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Yeah. Maybe long-distance will work." Peter shrugged. Harley smiled, nodding.

"We'll make it work," he agreed. "I'll miss you. I love you so much." Harley dragged his boyfriend into a hug, pressing kisses to the top of his head.

"I love you too," Peter giggled, stepping back from the hug. "Now go. Before I change my mind." He pointed at the private jet, ready to take Harley back to Tennessee. The blond grinned, swiftly grabbing Peter's chin and planting a quick kiss on his lips before running to the jet, waving at the smaller boy.

"Bye, darlin'!" He called, closing the jet door. Harley waved from the window, blowing a kiss to his lover.

"Bye!" Peter waved back, feeling his heart sink as the jet started to rise into the air. This was it. Harley was really leaving.

~

From inside the private jet, Harley sighed. He watched out the window until Peter seemed no larger than a tiny ant, then closed the shade. He felt a horrible lump of sadness in his throat, devastation hitting him all at once.

He was going to miss Peter a lot. Much more than he was letting on back at the tarmac when they were saying their goodbyes. But he really did need to leave; school was starting in a week and Harley wasn't enrolled at Peter's school. Plus, he really missed his family. Going home was the right decision.

Even still, it hurt. Harley was going to feel this one for a while. But it was for the best.

that was a shitty ending ngl