You Know Why

Request by McFudgenugget

idk how to describe this other than "angsty fluff that barely follows the request" (sorry lmao)

also if any of you ship DreamNotFound... i gotchu. go check out my oneshots (i take requests!!) and new story, "Sunny Side Up" (it's an ed fic so... be warned)

Disclaimer: I don't own Marvel.

3rd Person P.O.V.

"Bye, Harls! See you tomorrow!" Peter exclaimed, waving at his boyfriend.

"Bye darlin'!" Harley flashed a toothy smile, waving back at the smaller boy. "I love you!"

"I love you too!" Peter watched as Harley left, and he headed inside. He was grateful for his boyfriend, and he still felt butterflies around him. Harley Stark, son of Tony Stark and heir to Stark Industries, was dating Peter. And they fit together like matching puzzle pieces, personalities interlocking with ease. It was a newer relationship, only a few months strong, but both boys were comfortable enough to tell the other they loved him.

Peter ran up the stairs to his apartment, locking the front door behind him. He was quick to change into his Spiderman suit, jumping out the window and swinging along the streets of Queens.

~

Meanwhile, Harley had become his superhero alter ego as well- Iron Lad. He didn't go around too often, saving the suit for more dire situations. But hey, he wasn't busy, and maybe it would be fun to go blow off some steam.

He flew over rooftops, slowing to a stop when he spotted a familiar red and blue figure sitting on a ledge, eating a sandwich.

"Can I help you?" Spidey asked, without even turning around. His tone was warm, but he didn't bother to look at the person behind him.

"Spiderman. I don't believe we've met, at least not formally." Iron Lad extended a hand, waiting for Spiderman to turn around. Sure enough, the bug-themed hero turned to look at him, head tilted curiously.

"Iron Lad! What are you doing out here?" Spiderman wondered, letting the iron-clad man help him up. "Is there a problem? Do you need my help?"

"Ah, no," Iron Lad chuckled. "I just wanted to blow off some steam, I guess, and I found you, and- well, here we are." Spiderman nodded, looking off into the distance with a sigh.

"Well... if you want to join me, you can. It's been kind of a slow night, though," he offered. Iron Lad shrugged, nodding.

"Sure." Spiderman sat back on the ledge, and Iron Lad followed suit, letting his legs dangle off the side. "So... I don't think I actually know too much about you..." Spidey looked up, and you could tell he was holding back a laugh.

"Yeah. I don't know too much about you either." He turned back to the city, staring with a soft sigh. "You must know Mr Stark, right?"

"I- what?" Harley felt his heart beat echo in his ears. Was Spiderman going to figure out his identity? He had kept it secret so far... and preferred to keep it that way.

"The suit. The name. Surely you know him?" Harley frowned behind his mask, swallowing nervously.

"Oh... yeah, I guess I know him." In a desperate attempt to change the subject, he brought up the first thing that came to mind. "You know, you sound awfully familiar." Spidey's muscles tensed under the suit, head turning to look as far away as possible.

"So do you," he answered shortly. "But... we can't... we can't know each other's identities. It would put so much at risk an-"

"No, yeah, I know." Under the mask, Harley was smiling softly. He had recognized that voice. He also recognized the awkward rambling, and unsure body language. With this newfound knowledge, he decided against staying much longer- he couldn't risk Peter figuring out he was Iron Lad. "Hey, I actually should go... see you later?"

"Oh. Yeah," Spiderman nodded, glancing back at the iron-clad hero. "Bye..." Iron Lad flew off into the sky, disappearing from Peter's line of sight. The brunette sighed, laying back onto the gravel roof with a huff. "Bye, Harls..."

~

The next day at school, Peter was somewhat distant, while Harley was like an excited puppy around him. They had both figured out the other's alter ego- but neither of them wanted to mention it, in fear of making a mistake.

Harley had noticed how spacey and distracted Peter was that morning, and he wondered what could've possibly caused it. There weren't any big crimes after he had left the boy last night, so Harley knew that wasn't it. By lunchtime, the blond was tired of it, and decided he would get to the bottom of this.

"Darlin'?" Harley asked softly, watching as his boyfriend's eyebrows furrowed. "What's going on? Is everything ok?" Peter just looked up at him miserably, shaking his head. Now Harley was concerned, seeing tears prick at Peter's eyes.

"Um... I-" Peter took a deep breath, closing his eyes. "I don't think we should see each other anymore." Harley felt his heart stop, time slowing down around him. He hadn't expected that.

"Wait- hold on, slow down, we can work through this! Please, darlin'... was it something I did?" Peter turned away, a sob catching in his throat. He clearly didn't want this any more than Harley did. The blond swallowed hard, hoping he could convince Peter not to end their relationship. "Is this because of last night?" He said in a hushed whisper.

"Harley, we- we can't see each other any more. You know why." Peter sounded so broken up inside, and it hurt Harley to think that he was part of the cause. "It's for our own safety..." Harley grabbed Peter's shoulders, giving him no choice but to face the taller boy.

"Darlin', I know it's scary, but I promise you, it'll be ok. Just because we're in a relationship doesn't mean people will suspect-"

"But what if they do?" He looked up, tears flowing from his glossy eyes. "I don't want you getting hurt..." He murmured.

"I won't. Everything will be ok, I swear to you it will. There's no reason for anyone to think that Spiderman and Iron Lad are dating. As far as the public knows, we've barely even met, plus think about all the people that live in NYC. Nobody is going to think two high schoolers are superheroes," Harley pointed out, bringing a hand up to cradle Peter's jaw. "Please, darlin', I love you. We don't have to break up over something as silly as this, ok?" The brunette closed his eyes, letting more tears spill. He took a shaky breath before grabbing onto Harley and holding him tight. Quiet sobs escaped his lips as he cried into the blond's shirt.

"I-I'm so s-sorry-"

"No, shhh, it's ok, I understand why you did it," Harley murmured, shushing the smaller boy. "It's ok. Are we good?" Peter nodding, face still buried in Harley's chest. "Alright. It really is ok, darlin'."

"...Promise?" Harley just smiled fondly, thinking about how adorable his boyfriend was.

"Promise."

lmao how did we get to this point like this is barely what the request asked for

idk anymore man im running off like 3 hours of sleep

Requests?