Training Wheels

hell yes another oneshot

this one is based on Training Wheels by Melanie Martinez

CW: kissing, brief mentions of sex

3rd Person P.O.V.

Peter and Harley started dating four months ago. They were taking it slow, doing their best not to rush into anything. This was new territory for both of them– neither Peter nor Harley had been in a relationship with another man before. So it was probably for the best that they took things slowly while they figured things out.

Peter especially was nervous about being in a relationship.

Harley had plenty of... prior experience. Peter, on the other hand, had never been touched before. Hell, he hadn't even kissed anyone until he met Harley! So all of this was especially new.

But Harley was patient. He was okay with taking things slow. He didn't like to rush into anything as important as this, anyway. He was perfectly happy with the speed they were taking things.

That didn't mean that he didn't want more, however. Peter had been hesitant in everything they did together... and Harley wanted him to feel confident in himself, confident in them.

Harley knew it was different with Peter. He wasn't normally the type of guy to take things slow– Harley loved fast and hard. But he would do anything, go through anything, just to show Peter how much he loved him.

And sometimes, that wouldn't be the most comfortable. But Peter didn't need his metaphorical training wheels anymore, and Harley was going to help him take them off.

"Peter, darlin', can we talk?" Harley questioned. Peter looked up with wide eyes, looking like a doe in headlights. "Don't worry sweetheart. It's nothing bad, I just want to talk," Harley added, watching his boyfriend visibly relax.

"Oh, um, okay! Yeah, we can talk... what's on your mind, Harls?" Peter sat down on the bed, Harley taking the spot next to him.

"I know this might sound scary, but please just hear me out," the blond began, taking a deep breath. "I'd like to take our relationship to the next step."

"Harley, I don't know if-"

"Just listen, darlin'." Harley gently took Peter's hand in his, entwining their fingers. "Now, obviously I'm not going to force you to do anything. And we don't have to take things all the way, either. But I'd like to take the next small step in our relationship, and I think you're ready for that– even if you're nervous about it."

"What- um, what exactly... would that mean?" Peter asked nervously. Harley smiled, squeezing his hand reassuringly.

"It can mean whatever we want it to mean, darlin'. Whatever you feel comfortable trying." Harley leaned over, pressing a light kiss to Peter's temple. "I think it's time we take those training wheels off our relationship."

"But..." Peter's eyebrows furrowed. "What if things go wrong? What if this doesn't work?" He worried, gesturing between the two of them.

"I understand your concern. But if we never try to take things further, then we'll never know," Harley pointed out.

"I don't want to lose you..."

"Me neither," Harley admitted. "And I don't think we will. I love you, darlin'. I love everything you do." Peter's eyes widened, glancing up to meet Harley's gaze. His mouth opened and closed a few times before he finally managed to speak up.

"I love you too." A smile broke out, contagious between the pair. Peter laughed softly, pulling Harley in for a kiss. Harley could feel the smile on Peter's lips.

Slowly, gently, he laid Peter down on his back, head on the pillow. Harley was on his hands and knees over Peter, still a good distance between them. The brunette swallowed nervously, but kept quiet.

"Is this okay?" Harley checked in.

"I'm sorry. I really don't want to... do that..." Peter trailed off, looking guilty and ashamed.

"If you're talking about sex, then that wasn't my intention here," Harley murmured, picking up one hand to cradle Peter's cheek. "It's okay to take things slow. But maybe a small step forward would be good for us."

"Like... like making out?" Peter wondered.

"Yeah." Harley smiled for a second before his expression dropped. "Is that okay? I don't want to pressure you if you really don't want to, but you seemed open to suggestions earlier so I thought-"

"It's okay," Peter interrupted, smiling. "I'd like to try it." Harley's expression lightened.

"I'm glad. And if you want to stop at any time, just say so, alright?" He reminded. "It's only good if we're both enjoying it."

"Yeah," Peter agreed. "I will."

Harley got back over Peter, kissing him slowly. The brunette reciprocated, grabbing the back of Harley's neck and kissing him deeper. After a few seconds, they pulled away, panting.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

No training wheels left for you.

they continue making out and shit but I thought this was a cute little ending and it's not too spicy

also I apologize to requesters, I still have a bunch that I haven't written yet (I swear I will someday) and here I am doing random stuff