14│WHEELS

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴡʜᴇᴇʟs ꒱

❝ IT'S A SPEED TRAP ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Juliet sat next to Shawn in a booth at Chubbie's. Topanga and Cory sat across from them as the curly-haired boy talked excitedly about his birthday. Despite their recent kiss, neither the dark-haired boy nor the redhead had talked about the evening they'd spent all but making out. They carefully avoided any mention of kissing and had otherwise resumed their friendship as normal, though with much nagging from both Cory and Topanga when either party was alone.

"So tomorrow's the big day, huh?" Shawn asked.

"Yep. Tomorrow morning Cory Matthews turns sixteen and mobile."

"And I've worked out all the details for our big birthday road trip," Shawn added.

"You can get your father's car tomorrow, right?" Topanga questioned him.

"Well, naturally I'm sixteen. It's my right," her boyfriend answered.

"This is the first Cory drives road trip. The point is we are merely guests of the car, the wind and destiny."

"No, no," his best friend corrected him, "the point is a license says we are adults with cars who can see R-rated movies."

Juliet sighed. "Do we really have to see an action movie? You guys know I always fall asleep."

"I agree," Topanga said. "I'm not going with you guys to some R-rated movie."

"Van Damme takes his shirt off," Shawn told her.

"A-oo-ga," the blonde replied.

Juliet cracked a smile but didn't look much happier. "It doesn't matter how many shirtless men there are. If it's not a superhero movie, I'm asleep by the end of the first scene."

"Well, it's a good thing we'll be in the car for awhile before the theater so you can sleep then," Shawn pointed out. "We're seeing it in Atlantic city."

The redhead frowned. "Why would we go to Atlantic city when we could just see it right here?"

"Because we can!" the dark-haired boy exclaimed, slamming his fist on the table.

"Because we can go anywhere," Cory added, copying Shawn's gesture. "Because tomorrow, I got wheels. I am free and independent. Tomorrow, I am a man!"

"Keep dreaming, Cor," Juliet teased him. The waitress arrived with their food. 

"Who gets a Clown Burger?" she asked and Cory raised his hand.

He gave the redhead an indignant look. "I collect the little hats."

🌎🌎🌎

Cory's birthday arrived quickly and the trio tagged along to support him as he got his license. When they returned, his parents were in the kitchen and he couldn't wait to share the good news with them. "Hey, I passed my driver's test. I got my license! Well, my temp license anyway. See?"

"Honey, that's great," his mom replied. "Alan, isn't that great?"

"Yeah, that's-that's great, Cor," he said, his tone implying the complete opposite. "Uh, happy birthday. Yeah, that's really great."

"Uh, mom?" Cory asked, "is it just me or were they happier down at the DMV?"

"Oh, actually, Cory, your dad's a little let down. He kind of thought you might want to do this with him," she explained.