20│I NEVER SANG FOR MY LEGAL GUARDIAN

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ɪ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ sᴀɴɢ
ғᴏʀ ᴍʏ ʟᴇᴀɢᴀʟ ɢᴜᴀʀᴅɪᴀɴ ꒱

❝ SHE'S WINNING SO
I CAN CANCEL❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Juliet was leaning against the half-wall watching Shawn talk on phone when Cory ran up to them. "Come on, we're gonna be late for class."

"Just a sec," the redhead answered, "Shawn's trying to check his messages."

The boy looked up as Mr. Turner exited the office next to them. "Hey, John. What's your secret code?"

"Oh, it's one, four, three, four," Cory answered immediately.

"Matthews, how do you know my secret code?" Mr. Turner asked.

"Easy. It's the same number as your bank card. Oh— I owe you forty bucks."

Juliet opened her mouth to ask how he knew that but decided against it and shook her head. "Y'know what, I'm not even gonna ask."

Shawn hung up the phone. "Well, no messages. My dad hasn't called in two weeks now."

"I wouldn't worry too much, Shawn," their teacher told him, "could be a million good reasons."

"Yeah," Juliet agreed, "didn't he say he was on his way to the Vatican to visit his old friend the Pope?" Of course, she didn't believe this for a second as well as she knew Chet Hunter, but she would pretend to believe the story in an effort to cheer up her best friend.

"Yeah," Shawn replied.

"Well, they only have one phone there and it's in the Pope's bedroom and you don't want to go in there," Cory finished.

"It was just that after his last letter, I thought he was headed this way. I was hoping to get to see him, that's all," the boy answered before he walked away.

Cory turned to his best friend and teacher. "Jules, Mr. Turner, we got a big problem with Shawn. I mean, this one goes way beyond pooberty."

The redhead gave him an amused look. "You mean puberty, Cor?"

"Yeah, pooberty," he repeated, "listen, you gotta get Shawn's dad out here for at least a visit. I mean, he hasn't seen him since he took off after his mom and that was, like, a year ago."

"I don't think he's coming back real soon, Matthews," Mr. Turner answered.

"Why do you say that?" he asked.

"Well, because Chet's calls are getting fewer and far between and a few months back he sent me the paperwork to make me Shawn's legal guardian."

Juliet stared at the older man in shock as Cory said, "wow. No wonder Shawn's been so bummed out lately."

"That's a huge step, Mr. Turner," Juliet added.

"Yeah. I mean, it's difficult enough just living together in that mousehole of an apartment."

"Mr. Turner, you gotta do something," the curly-haired boy told him.

"Yeah, I do."

Cory stopped him, pulling out his wallet. "You know what? You're a good guy. Here's the thirty bucks I owe you."

"Forty," Mr. Turner reminded him.

"That's a good memory."

🌎🌎🌎