14│ROAD TRIP

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄ 
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ʀᴏᴀᴅ ᴛʀɪᴩ ꒱ 

❝ TO CHET HUNTER,
SHAWN'S FATHER 

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Juliet was squished between Cory and Shawn in the middle seat of the truck. The dark-haired boy was at the wheel and his gaze focused on the highway ahead. "Alright. Full tank of gas, the open road and no destination."

"Let the road be your guide," Cory agreed before he added, "where are we going, Shawn?"

His question went ignored. "Man, this trip is exactly what I needed to take my mind off everything."

"I'm sorry about you dad dy— oof." The curly-haired boy grimaced as Juliet elbowed him sharply in the side.

"That's not helping, Cor," she told him sternly.

"Shawn, why are we really on this trip?" he asked instead.

"I'll tell you later."

"When?"

"When the time is right."

"Well, will you at least tell me when we get to wherever it is that we don't know where we're going?" Cory badgered him.

"Yes," Shawn answered as a faint smile curled on his lips.

A part of her wished they'd taken a station wagon or some other four-seater car so she wouldn't have to be crammed between her best friends. Cory was fine; she didn't mind that so much. On Shawn's side, though, she could feel the warmth of his leg pressing against hers and felt him shift every time he adjusted his grip on the steering wheel, which turned out to be very distracting. Trying to find something else to focus on, she watched as the boy to her right put on a bandana to match his best friend.

"What?" he asked as he caught Shawn's look.

"Well, it's just, you know. . ."

"No. What? Tell me."

"Well, if one guy's wearing a bandana, it's cool. If two guys are it's. . ."

Cory cut him off, "ah, say no more. The 'one bandana rule' has been enforced." He complied and took off the makeshift hat.

"It's actually a two bandana rule, just not for you," Shawn corrected him. "Give it to Julie."

"No, it's okay. I don't want—" she tried to protest, only for the curly-haired boy to hand her the white fabric. With a sigh, she accepted it and tied it properly underneath her hair. "You keep driving," she told the other boy before she turned to Cory. "How do I look?"

"Like a girl in a bandana. What else do you want me to say?"

Rolling her eyes, she faced the road again. While he tried to follow her order, Shawn couldn't resist glancing at her for a fraction of a second.

(He almost crashed the truck.)

🌎🌎🌎

After they'd recovered from the jolt and Juliet had proceeded to lecture him on 'safe driving,' they decided to stop for lunch at a diner that was on the side of the road. Cory couldn't hide his excitement. "This is a real truck stop."

"We have a real truck," Shawn agreed.

"And we stopped here. You know what? I think I'm gonna get Topanga a hat."