17│A LONG WALK TO PITTSBURGH, PT. 2

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴀ ʟᴏɴɢ ᴡᴀʟᴋ
ᴛᴏ ᴘɪᴛᴛsʙᴜʀɢʜ, ᴘᴛ. 𝟸 ꒱

❝ HOW CAN TOPANGA
MEDDLE FROM PITTSBURGH? ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

It had been almost a week since Topanga left for Pittsburgh and Juliet was feeling the loss of her best friend acutely. She missed being able to talk about "girly" things with her and even missed the blonde's meddling in her relationship with Shawn. It was this feeling that prompted her on following through with her promise, intent on being able to tell Topanga the outcome the next time they talked on the phone.

Juliet made sure to catch Shawn during their lunch break at school to limit the places he could run off to. It was also so that she could talk to him on neutral territory, wanting him to feel more comfortable— and for her own ease as well. As they made their way out of Mr. Feeny's history class, she grabbed his wrist to catch his attention. "Shawn, can I talk to you?"

He turned and gave her a curious look. "'Course, Julie. What's up?"

"Not here," she said quickly. She pulled him to a quieter, less travelled part of the hallway. Once they were relatively alone, she took a deep breath. "So, we, uh, need to talk."

"Okay," he agreed easily, "about what?"

The redhead chewed on her bottom lip as she thought about the best way to broach the subject, forgetting that Shawn had asked her not to do that. As she considered her options, the boy's gaze focused on the habit and he sighed. "Julie."

"Hmm?"

"You're doing it again."

She looked confused, so he pointed to her mouth. Her expression turned guilty. "Sorry. Anyway, um, about the, well, the night we-we spent at Chubbie's."

"We spend a lot of nights at Chubbie's so you'll have to be more specific."

Juliet gave him a mildly irritated look and rushed out: "after you broke up with Jennifer."

Shawn's eyes widened comically as if he hadn't known the night she'd been talking about. "Oh! That night. Well, what about it? I thought we agreed we wouldn't."

"We didn't agree to anything," she reminded him, "we just avoided talking about it. I think now's a good time."

"Now? I have lunch now," he tried to escape. "We can talk any other time but now."

She fixed him with a stern look that kept him in place. "We're talking about it now whether you like it or not." She paused, uncertain as to how to continue. Finally, she decided on: "so, we kissed."

"Well, when you put it like that—"

"There's no other way to put it, unless you'd like a more graphic adjective like made out," Juliet said, "but I was trying to make it easier. Obviously, we haven't made out since then. What's up with that?"

"What's up with you?" was the only response Shawn could come up with, feeling extremely uneasy about the topic. The redhead sighed. It looked like she would have to be the mature one about this

Since that wasn't a surprise, she continued: "well, I know my reasons for not addressing the situation but I don't know what yours are, so I think I'll go first." She hesitated again and her fingers twisted the straps of her backpack anxiously. "So, um, how I feel is, that, well—"