22│CAREER DAY

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴄᴀʀᴇᴇʀ ᴅᴀʏ ꒱

❝ LIKE I'M SOME KINDA ANGEL ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

[Two weeks ago]

The slowest time at the diner was in the afternoon on weekends, after the lunch shift ended and before the dinner shift started. This was when Juliet most often visited in an effort to spend more time with her mother when the older woman's work hardly allowed her to come home. The girl sat at the familiar, sixties-styled bar counter. The fake red leather seat creaked slightly as she shifted while she watched her mother brew coffee and set food up for the next guests.

The woman was wearing the traditional work uniform of a powder-blue, close-fitting dress with white capped sleeves, apron and collar— a classic sixties style. The other servers all wore the same outfit and were busily preparing the restaurant for the next meal. The red-haired woman slid a tuna melt sandwich with a side of Oreos across the counter to her daughter, who smiled brightly at the sight of her favorite meal and began to eat it immediately.

Once she'd taken a few bites, she asked a question: "uh, mom?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Career Day's coming up at the end of the year and, well, I know you're busy here at the café, but I wanted to know if you'd come for just an hour?"

Daly's expression softened. "Of course, dear. I'll do my very best to make it."

Juliet frowned slightly, knowing that the answer mostly meant no. She played her next card: "well, I'd like to know for sure, mom, since Jack offered his mother to step in in case you couldn't make it. I wanted to know in advance if I needed to ask her so she can clear her schedule." Juliet left the rest unsaid: because she can.

A similar expression crossed her mother's face before she smiled gently at her daughter and reached a hand across the counter to place it on her arm. "There's no need to bother Mrs. Montacute. I'll be there, for sure."

Now that was an answer Juliet had never heard, and the younger girl's expression brightened into a beaming smile. "Great! Thanks, mom! Career Day is going to be amazing now that you're going!"

Daly smiled happily at her excited daughter, pleased that she could, at least, deliver on this after disappointing her so many other times.

🌎🌎🌎
[Present day]

The parents were crowded to the front of the room while they reviewed what information they'd be going over with the class. Alan Matthews, of course, was there; Juliet hadn't expected anything less from him. Topanga's dad, Jedidiah, was there. Shawn's dad was would probably come late, but her heart sank when no familiar head of red hair was visible in the group of parents.

"Hey, Cor, it's your dad. He's doing Career Day. Alright," Shawn said, pointing out the man.

"It's not alright. Today we find out I'm not a basketball player's son. My dad is a grocer. I'm a grocer's son. I'm a son of a grocer," Cory complained, causing the girl's eyes to narrow at him. At least his father made it.

Mr. Matthews approached the group. "Hey, Shawn, Juliet, Cory, um— guess how many different grains of rice we have."

"Oh, no," Cory groaned.