9│HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ʜᴏᴡ ᴛᴏ sᴜᴄᴄᴇᴇᴅ
ɪɴ ʙᴜsɪɴᴇss ꒱

❝ WHEN AM I EVER WRONG? 

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

"So," Barron began after he took a bite of his Chinese food, "I was thinking, how'd you like to come to work with me for a few days?"

Juliet looked up from where she was concentrating on gathering some noodles with her chopsticks. "At the bank?"

"Yeah. I've been thinking it would be nice for me to bring my daughter to work. You'd get to meet my employees and live day in the life, you know?"

"But isn't it in New York?" she asked. "What about school?"

"Well you could take a few days off as part of a 'work-study' program," he suggested, air quoting the words work-study.

The redhead thought it over as she successfully scooped up some of her food. "What if I don't like it? Or I'm not good at it?"

He shrugged. "That's why it's a trial period. I have no intention of forcing the position on you like my father did."

"What does a banker actually do?" she questioned him curiously.

Barron grinned. "Well, that's what you'll have to find out. I'll leave it as a surprise so you'll agree, champ."

Juliet sighed. "Still trying to find a good nickname, then?"

"I don't give up easy," the dark-haired man replied cheerfully.

"Yeah, well, that makes two of us," the girl stated. She paused to weigh the pros and cons before she said, "alright, I'm in."

Barron beamed happily at his daughter, pleased that she'd agreed. After all, as much as Juliet had wanted the father-daughter experience of dances and softball games, he'd wanted the daughter-father memories of everything that came with raising a child.

🌎🌎🌎

Juliet felt oddly nervous as she walked up the steps and between the front pillars of her father's (her family's) bank, Verona Incorporated. She was wearing her navy-blue pantsuit with her hair done up in a fancy French knot and felt very businesslike as she followed her father through the dark double doors.

The inside reminded her strongly of the Montacute's home with the same shiny, black and white tiled floor. It had an equally similar sense of grandeur that her ex-boyfriend's family home had and its impressiveness was a little intimidating. Bank teller booths lined both sides of the walls which left the middle open with space for people to queue up. Employees passed back and forth behind the barrier or sat at their stations as they waited for customers. Barron paid them little mind as he walked purposefully through the center of the room to reach a inconspicuous brown door that was farther in.

Juliet let out a breath of relief when she saw that the back offices were much less magnificent. Instead, they were typically industrial with clear glass walls to separate the individual rooms. As they continued towards the back, she could see into each workspace as other employees made phone calls or worked on computers. (She was pleased to see that there were a nearly equal number of men and women and that her father had the intuition to hire based on diversity.)

They finally stopped in front of the largest of the offices although they didn't enter right away. To her surprise, Barron turned away from what was clearly his room (as Barron Capelwood, C.E.O. was etched smartly into the glass partition) and entered the office to the right. The plaque on the door read Dolores F. Laurence, Assistant.