Red In My Ledger | Part 6

Summary: Part 6 of Red In My Ledger

Warnings: None

Word Count: 1,307
___________

Tony takes a look at the three new agents in front of him, as one definitely seemed to be an American because of his insignia and uniform, but the other two were wearing black SHIELD agent uniforms with a symbol belt. Tony first looks over at Steve, who forwards his hand for a handshake.

"Hey, I'm Steve Rogers. Captain America." He says, waiting for Tony to reply. He slowly pushes his hand forward for a handshake, and Tony gently accepts it. "I know you. Your contributions and skills are remarkably amazing."

Tony was a little quiet from the compliment Steve gave, but his attention was over the two other agents. Natasha and you.

"So, you are Natasha? Natalya?" Tony asked.

"Yes, Tony. Anton?" Natasha replied with her arms folded. Tony smiled and looked at you, who just kept staring at him.

"So, you're Natasha's sister, huh?" Tony raised an eyebrow, while looking at you.

"Da. Though we originally aren't sisters by birth, but whatever it is, we were together since the time we met." You look at Natasha, and back to him. "What's with yours?"

"Uhm, nothing. My mom passed away while I was five, and my dad left me for training when I was ten. Simple as that. You were trained in the KGB, weren't you?"

"KGB was our second option. Before, it was from a place called the Red Room. Me and Natasha were bred and trained from there itself. It sure was a violent process to live, but we survived, somehow.."

"I'm sorry.. I too feel your pain, being abandoned and.. suffering everything for no reason." Tony shook his head.

There was a pin drop silence for a while, till the tike Fury clears his throat and brings everyone's attention.

"I assigned you all for this mission because this is connected not just to the matter of Howard Starkov's murder, but many lives that had been targeted. This is the same person, who's inspecting us all. We don't know if it's within us, but we need to find out who is responsible for all this because SHIELD is quite compromised."

"Quite? What do you mean by that?" Steve asks.

"As we can say.. someone infiltrated. Invaded it and making us do things that we either have no idea about it, or it's happening behind us without legal permission. We need to stop this." Fury tapped his finger on the table.

"So you mean that SHIELD is no longer a safe place? Then why is it still going?" Tony raised an eyebrow.

"Because of the law. Rules. We cannot abide them. I'm itself powerless. If they can do things without letting the authorities know, then we too can. We can find out the root cause of it. I have knows about the whereabouts of a person who's eliminating targets one by one. And I believe it is going to be a challenge for us, because the world is at stake, and we need to secure it."

Everyone look at each other, discussing themselves about what to do next. Meanwhile, another new voice is heard around the room.

"Fury's right." The others turn around to see a blonde man with old facial features, wearing a casual office suit. Tony wasn't sure who this guy was, but Fury seemed to be super familiar of him.

"Pierce. I didn't expect you to come here." Fury smirks.

"Why not? For what you did for me? That's not right." The man steps forward to his agents, and handshakes Steve's hand.

"I'm Alexander Pierce. Pleasure to meet you." Pierce looked at his other new agents, specially Tony. He walks closer to him and shakes his hand too, smiling at him. "You look familiar."

Tony didn't get what he mean, but all he could do is to accept what he said and let Pierce meet the two other agents.

"So, are you briefing them for the mission right now?" Pierce asked.

"I'm right now going to tell them about the plan for the mission. We'll schedule that later." Fury replied.

"You have gathered one of the most potential agents. I'm very sure they'll hunt down the cause of our deteriorating organisation." Pierce keeps his both hands in his pocket, while walking across them.

"I hope so, that guy is a literal pain in the—"

"Language." Steve broke Fury's lines midway, surprising the rest.

"Okay." Fury sighed and continued. "That guy is trying to destroy SHIELD's reputation and security, and we need to figure it out who it can be. I have chosen you all, especially you Starkov, so you can find out why all these murders have been happening. I dismiss you all for the day, you can leave."

"You quite catch sentences so well, Captain." Pierce chuckled.

"Habit." Steve nodded, and Tony just rolls his eyes.

The scene then switches to Tony walking alone in the hall, meanwhile he sees you and Steve beside the corridor, as he approaches them both.

"Tony!" Steve smiled. "I'm glad you're here. We wanted to talk about the mission, cause this won't be easy, but as soon we keep ourselves united, we can accomplish."

"You're quite a very hopeful and confident man, Rogers. I'm amazed." Tony said. "How long is Y/N working here?"

"Y/N is here since the time I joined SHIELD. Nat too was in this organisation, so I met them both and we know each other well a long time."

"I hope you kicked a lot of arses, did you?" Tony smirked at you, making you chuckle. But, Steve cleared his throat knowing what was going on.

"First of all, language. Plus, we have to make sure who is this culprit responsible for SHIELD breaking down. Is it like, someone controlling it all? And we don't know?"

"Whoever it is, we're going to find that out together." You nod. Tony kept looking at you, gently. There was something special that he found about you — quiet, but remaining a badass, like Natasha.

"You should rest for now, Fury has been gathering the rest of the intel for the mission to begin." Steve sets his shield, and pats Tony's shoulder.

"If you need anything, I'm right here." Steve looks at Tony, and he somehow smiles and nods at him in response. Steve leaves and then you step closer to him while seeing Steve leave.

"You found a new friend, did you?" You chuckled, in your Russian accent.

"Kind of, even if he's just like us, and blends with a lot of people." Tony shook his head.

"Are they're problems to do so?" You asked, while looking at him.

Tony sighed. "You don't know the true story knowing why I have these problems."

You understood what he meant, and thought not to talk about it, knowing it'll hurt him more.

"I'm sorry." You sighed and fold your arms. "But, you're not the only one, okay?"

Tony looks at you, with an assuring face. You wanted to comfort him, but hoping you don't disappoint, decided to keep these things a little distinct. It wasn't because of trust issues, but, you were bad in giving advice despite the fact you too living in a horrible enviornment with Nat where you're trained to be a monster..

"Does it feel like home while working with SHIELD?" Tony asks.

"As long I don't have enemies here, I'm good." You nodded. "Anyways, I have to go. See you tomorrow." You waved him a goodbye and left. You again look back at him, still staring at you. Turning back and left the hall, he was all by himself now.

Tony was now in his shared room given by SHIELD to live in, because of the briefing which was to be done together with Steve, Nat and you. Tony stares at the ceiling while being laid comfortably on the bed, thinking.

"I think.. something is wrong which we haven't figured out yet."

___________