This Christmas (I'll Burn it to the Ground)

A/N This is an au I have thought about for years, and I am happy to finally have time to sit down and write it. If you are new to my writing then there are two things to point out with my writing, especially recently in my Percy Jackson novels. 1. I love music and 2. I love songs from the band Set It Off. So when I stumbled across 'This Christmas (I'll Burn it to the Ground)' in 2018, I became obsessed over the song, and especially at my angsty time in my life, I related to that song on so many levels....I still half do. I am blessed to celebrate Christmas with a family who (somewhat) loves me but the themes of the song always lingers in my mind...

Enough about the song, now about this story. Annually, the Apollo cabin runs a Christmas Carols for the demigods who cannot go home for Christmas that year. Every year a different cabin helps out to bring a unique touch to the show each Christmas Eve. For this year, a couple of months after the giant war, Chiron decided to let the Hermes cabin be apart of the organising for once. And they had decided on a mystery singer route, where the singer would sing behind a curtain until someone guesses who they are. And this year, they wanted all cabins to participate, including Poseidon's cabin, where a single camper who secretly hates Christmas lingers. [written 20/12/2021]

Third POV

With the stage set in the middle of the cabins, Annabeth watched as children of Apollo and Hephaestus rushing around for the final details. Some children of Hermes were pulling across the curtain for the 'mystery' part of the night tonight. Annabeth is normally here for these carols, she isn't normally welcomed with her father and the rest of his family. But this is the first time her boyfriend, Percy is here. She is very excited about that, because not only is Percy and her able to celebrate Christmas together for the first time but her new friends she made from this hectic last couple of months will also be here. She won't be alone like she used to be.

She looked over from her cabin steps and noticed most of the seven talking to each other outside Zeus' cabin. She sighed and walked over to them, noticing Jason, Piper, Frank and Hazel were there, but no Percy in sight. She shook her head as she noticed the noticeable calm amongst the group, the son of Hephaestus' charm not there. This is a time for happiness, not looking on the causalities of the war. A sad reality Annabeth has scarily gotten used to.

"Hey Annabeth!" Jason expressed as he waved his hand at the daughter of Athena as she joined the group. "Hello Jason" Annabeth stated "How was you guy's trip from Camp Jupiter?" Frank and Hazel looked at each other while Piper smiled slightly at Jason. "We came straight here well while Piper and Jason bypassed Piper's father's house" Frank replied, making Jason chuckle nervously while rubbing the back of his neck. "Let's just say Piper's dad was not happy with me" Jason said nervously, making Piper chuckle and nudge him slightly "He's always like that, he likes you, don't worry" Piper exclaimed, making Jason nervously laugh back. Piper looked at Annabeth, who had a tired, worried look on her face "What's wrong Annabeth?" Annabeth sighed and looked down, hugging herself slightly. "I haven't seen Percy at all today, I'm worried" Annabeth said softly.

Piper walked over to Annabeth and put her hand on Annabeth's shoulder, making her look up to look in Piper's kaleidoscope eyes. "I'm sure everything is alright" Piper stated "Nico mentioned to be when we arrived he was with him, said something about calling in a favour to travel to see Percy's mum. I'm sure they'll be back before the show" Annabeth smiled weakly, knowingly the little information won't satisfy Annabeth until she sees Percy in person. "EVERYONE SIT DOWN FOR THE ANNUAL CHRISTMAS SHOW!!!" one of the Apollo kids yelled out, the remaining seven walking over to enjoy the show.

~~~

From the other side of the curtain in the pitched large white tents had multiple Apollo kids ushered around a young man. "I don't know about this" the man said "People will freak if they guess me, then I will have to explain everything" "But you are the less likely person for people to guess because of who you portray as! You will be fine, we promise you" a teenage Apollo girl stated, her ocean blue bass strapped to her back. "Plus, you can sing towards us if you want" an Apollo boy said, his hair held back by a black and white bandana, twirling his drumsticks in his hand "So if it was to happen, they still can't recognise you as you have your back to them" The man sighed, looking down nervously in his seat. "The reality is that no matter what they will find out" the daughter of Hecate stated, leaning on the table near them with her purple electric guitar in hand. "Ashley" the bass guitarist hissed as they all looked over to the girl with long black curly hair. "What?" Ashley expressed as she looked at them all "It's true, they are bound to know he has participated tonight and Annabeth is a smart cookie. In the end you have to face your fears, and I'm sure your past will be valid and taken into consideration with your views and values on the topic of Christmas"