quarante deux

Serval days earlier

"They're late"

Norie looked at her husband as he continues.

"Erwin and his men are keeping me waiting, the MP escorts will come here before they do"

"Calm down, you know being commander doesn't always mean having all the time of the world. He probably has something going on right now"norie says patting his knee.

"He's probably constipated and having a rough day"

Norie shook her head and took a sip of her hot drink.

"You're talking a lot today captain"Eren speaks up.

Norie smiles at Eren and then Levi says "don't be stupid"

Norie's eyes widened and she turned to him and said "hey!"

"It's true"Levi said to her.

"I always talk a lot"

He puts his cup of tea down and Norie sees him make a face and he grabs onto his leg.

"Levi-I'm okay Norie"He cuts her off.

Norie looks away and sighs.

After some seconds Eren spoke up and said "I'm sorry"

She looks at him with a frown and says "for what honey?"

"Back then, if I haven't made the wrong choice...this never would've happened"

Eren looks down and Levi and Norie looked at each other.

"Eren, come here"she said

He looks at her and saw her pull up a chair next to her but across from Levi.

Eren stood up and went to go take a seat in the chair and Norie smiles at him.

"Look, I know you feel regret. But at the time we were going through a tough process. It was difficult to choose what might be best for you and for others around you."Norie says.

"And I told you, no one ever knows how things will turn out"Levi says.

"It's okay"she says and places a hand on top  of Eren's shoulder.

Their little group interaction was cut off by someone running through the room and says "sorry to keep you waiting"

The three of them turned to look and saw Erwin, Mikasa, Armin and Jean.

Norie smiles at the teens and they smile back as Eren says "not at all sir"

"We have identified a person of interest who may be the female Titan"

Eren froze and Norie looked at them, curious to see who they'll say.

"This time, we won't let her escape"Erwin says.

--------------------------

They sat around the table as a map was set on top, Norie stared at it as she leaned back in her chair, crossing her legs.

"The operation with be in two days, it will take place in Stohess District, on our way to the capital"

She looks up at Erwin.

"This is our first and last chance, once we pass that point, Eren will be remanded to the capital. Our pursuit of those who seek to destroy the walls will become fraught with difficulty"

Norie looked back at the sheet of paper in front of her and traced her finger on top of the words.

"Ultimately, humanity stands to go extinct. We will stake everything on this plan."

Everyone nods as Erwin continues "here it is"

He points to a spot in the map that had a red line drawn up across that street and a big red circle in the corner.

"When we pass through Stohess, Eren will act as a decoy, and lead the target to this underground tunnel. If we can get her to the lowest level, given the tunnels size and structural integrity, even if the target transforms, we can immobilize her"

Norie and the rest nodded and she places the paper down, and rubs her ribs.

"But if she transforms before then, Eren we'll need your help"Erwin says.

"Yes sir, as for the target, Are we sure she's in Stohess?"Eren asks

"Yes, our target is a member of the military police."Erwin says.

"The military police?"

"Armin was the one who arrived to that conclusion"

Eren turns to Armin as Erwin says "He believes that the target also killed the two captured Titans"

Norie looks at Erwin and continued.

"She may be a former trainee from the 104th, the same as you"

"Wait a second, 104th?"Eren says shocked.

"The name of the girl we believe to be the person of interest is Annie Leonhart"

"Annie's the female Titan? Why? Why do you think that Armin?"Eren says unconvincingly.

"From the start, the female Titan knew what you looked like. And she reacted to your nickname suicidal bastard, which only the 104th trainees would know. And the biggest reason is that I believe Annie killed the test subjects, Sawney and Bean"Armin says.

"How can you tell?"Eren says.

"Only someone very skilled could have done it, and they'd used their own maneuver gear which they're accustomed to. "

"Yeah wasn't that why they inspected our maneuver gear? But they didn't find anything on Annie"

Norie pinched the bridge of her nose and looked down, why was this stressing her out?

"Annie brought Marcos Maneuver Gear to inspection"Armin spoke out.

"That's why she managed to avoid getting caught"

"Huh? What are you talking about?"Eren says

"What does Marco have to do with this?"

"I don't know"Armin says.

"Are you sure it was his?"Eren asked.

"Yes I know what I-Hey kid, we get it"Levi cut him off making norie look up at Armin.

"Do you have any other evidence?"he asks.

Norie nodded her head in reassurance to Armin as he looked back at her.

He then looked at Levi and says "no, I don't"

"I think Annie's face resembles the female Titans"Mikasa says.

"What are you talking about?"Eren says standing up from his chair.

"Eren"norie says sternly.

"But captain that isn't evidence-So you have no proof but you'll do it anyway"Levi cuts Eren off.

"You have no proof? Then why do it? What if it isn't here?"Eren asks

"Then we'll know she's innocent, That's all"

"And then I'll feel bad for Annie, However if we don't do something you'll end up be sacrificed to the people of of the capital"Armin says.

"You're crazy to think Annie is a Titan"Eren says

"Eren, Now that you know we suspect her, isn't it ringing any bells?"Mikasa says

"You fought the female Titan, didn't anything remind you of Annie's distinctive combat style? You do know don't you?"

Norie looks at Eren and he only looks away.