quatre vingt neuf

They reach a door as they noticed a lock on it, Levi turned to his side and said "Eren" to give him the sign to use the key.

"Right"

Eren went forward as he took the key off of his neck and they saw him jingle the lock making them confused.

"What's wrong?"Norie asked.

"Eren?"Mikasa says.

"Hurry up"Levi says

"This... This key... It doesn't go to this door..."

"What? You're kidding...I'm certain that's the key Dr.Yeager had"

"We'll open Eren don't worry, maybe we can bang it open-"Norie was cut off by Levi pushing her aside lightly.

"Step aside, I'll open it"

"Wait levi-"

Levi sent his foot to the door breaking it off the lock, Norie sighed and shook her head, well at least he opened it.

Levi opened it and they all walked into the dark room, they turned on a lamp as they looked around. Their was a desk and a chair, shelf's with books and different medicines.

"it almost feels like a laboratory down here."

"My dad was a doctor, so... he was always cooped up down here mixing medicine."Eren says.

Norie dragged her finger on some books until her hand was slapped, she turned and saw Levi staring at her.

"Ow"she said unfazed.

"This place is filthy Norie, I don't want you touching stuff."he says.

"But we need to touch it if we wanna look for answers"norie says.

Levi stares at her and then says "wipe your hands after and then wash them immediately when we get back"

"In fact, if this medicine is all labeled correctly, it's stuff that's widely available."Hange says lifting a bottle to read it.

"And since all the books here relate to medicine, at first glance, it's just a doctor's study. Theirs nothing suspicious here"

"It's like that what he wants people to think"

"Yeah, If you're hiding stuff from the Interior Police, you wouldn't want it out in the open."Levi says as he and Norie view some more bottles.

He turns to Levi and Mikasa and says "hey, quit standing around brats."

"Erwin's hunches are rarely wrong"

Norie grabs a book and started flipping through the pages, her eyes landed on a drawing. A drawing very specific and known to her.

A man with glowing veins, inside of a Titans stomach. She furrowed her eyebrows and read whats in the bottom.

The species protects the goddess with their ability, if they die and fail too, the goddess must devour them to obtain their power to gain more control on those who attack.

Norie runs her fingers along the drawing and she rips the page out of the book and puts it in her breath pocket.

"What do you have?"

She turned to Levi and she said "I'll show you later, let's focus on Eren"

He nods as Mikasa says "Eren, there's a key hole right here"

Everyone turned to her and walked over to the desk, Eren kneels down in front of the small drawer, and pulls out the key.

He sticks the key in and he turns it to the side, they heard a click and Eren says "it opened"

He grabs the edge and slides it open making him confused and angry.

"It's empty?!"

"Look closer"Norie says.

"It's a false bottom"Levi says reaching his hand into it and the pushes down revealing underneath, three books.

They grabbed them as Hange grabbed one of the rags that were sticked between the books and smelled it.

"It smells like peppermint oil and charcoal, Were these treated to keep moisture and bugs away?"Hange says.

"We were looking for something, and these must be it"Levi says placing the book down on the desk.

Eren goes to open it as he says "I wonder what it was my dad wanted to show me."

Mikasa places her hand on the book to and they opened it up to reveal a drawing of three people on the first page.

"Is it...a portrait?"Eren asks examining it.

"Let me see that"Hange says.

"No, it's far to detailed to be drawn by a person"

"That's Dr.Yeagers writing"Mikasa says pointing to the back of the portrait.

Hange turned it and began to read it aloud "this is no illustration, Instead, this uses light reflected off a subject...and burns the image on a special paper. It's called a photograph"

"I come from a place outside..."she trailed off and looked up at the others in shock.

"Where humanity lives in elegance... humanity has not perished...I pray the person who finds this book is a fellow patriot."

---------------------------

Norie sat in her office staring at the page she ripped from the book, a goddess...? Protector...? And the glowing veins...it was similar to hers when the Beast Titan ate her.

"Norie"

She flinches and looks up to see Levi, she smiles lightly and says "hey, what's wrong?"

"You said you'd be ready in 5, they passed, I see you're ready but why haven't you head out?"he asks his wife.

Norie sighs and looks back at the page and says "the page, the one you saw me put into my pocket. It's..."

"It's what?"Levi says.

"Remember when I told you when I was in the Beast Titans stomach my veins were glowing? And I felt like my abilities were draining out of me and passing on to it?"norie explained.

Levi hummed.

"Well...come read this"she says and hands him the page.

Levi grabs it and scans it.

"The species protects the goddess with their ability, if they die and fail too, the goddess must devour them to obtain their power to gain more control on those who attack..."

"Maybe...maybe their is an answer to how I have these abilities too. And this is the answer to why Reiner, Bertholdt and the Beast Titan want to eat me."Norie says

Levi looks at her and says "We'll figure it out...you don't mind putting this aside for now?"

"No, let's go see Eren and Mikasa"norie says as she stood up and put her scout coat on.

Levi motions his arm slightly and Norie hooks hers with his and they walked to the cellars where Eren and Mikasa have been staying.