chapter twenty three

The car ride to Jaemins apartment is silent. Haechan tries to calm himself by singing along to the radio but it's not enough to make him forget that he's in a closed space with the one person who can freak him out more than anybody else.

He accidentally lets out a sigh of relief when Jaemin parks the car in front of his building.

"Are you okay?" Jaemin asks, not really wanting but now wanting to ignore the males reaction.

Haechan nods and gets out of the air to soak up the slightly breezy air. The sound of the trunk slamming brings him out of his peace.

He raises an eyebrow when he sees Jaemin struggling to hide something behind his back. Jaemin notices and flashes him what's supposed to be a reassuring smile.

"Want me to open the door?"

"Yes, please."

Haechan takes the keys and turns away, trying to listen to what Jaemins to doing behind him. He opens the door and walks right into the living room.

"Should I close my eyes?"

"Uh, yeah."

Haechan does so, also making sure to face the wall so he can't see Jaemin has. The ruffling of a bag gets his attention, until it stops a few seconds later.

Haechan opens one eye, hoping Jaemin isn't in the living room. When he sees that it's empty, he seats himself on the couch and starts mindlessly scrolling through his phone to ease the unusual awkwardness that's been surrounding them.

"Want a snack or something?" Jaemin asks as he walks back into the living room.

The brunet shakes his head and places his phone face down against his thigh to give Jaemin his attention.

Jaemin sits on the armrest of his couch, trying to keep himself from just tackling his friend into a hug and apologizing against his chest.

He drums his fingers up and down his thigh, trying to give himself something else to focus on.

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay", Haechan says immediately, earning him a look. Haechan continues. "I can tell you feel bad. And if I did something, I'm sorry."

Jaemin shakes his head. "No, no, you didn't do anything. I-I'm..." Jaemin sighs. "I was jealous."

Everything in Haechans body and outside of it seems to slow down as he tries to process Jaemins small confession that makes him feel far too much.

"What do you mean?" He asks slowly.

"I know it's probably me...Especially 'cause I struggle with this a lot but sometimes I feel like you don't like me that much. Or if you do...that you..."

Jaemin doesn't finish his sentence but he doesn't need to.

"I'm sorry", Haechan says again. "It's not that I don't like you, I promise I do, I just don't know how to...be more mindful of people? And I should."

"Why don't you react when I say something nice to you?"

Haechans eyebrows pinch together in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"When Jeno said all those nice things about you, I could just tell you felt happy about it. Which is normal but...I feel like I could tell you the same things and you'd just say thanks."

Fuck, fuck, fuck, how do I get out of this idea?

As much as Haechan would love to admit the reason he refuses to show a reaction is because if he doesn't, he'll show too much, but he doesn't wanna mess anything up.