chapter ninety three

"You're telling me you brought Jisung to an amusement park and he didn't just stand there?" Jisung rolls his eyes. "Stop looking at me like that. You can't blame me for being surprised."

"Well, they didn't try to force me into going on rollercoasters."

Now it's Mrs. Parks turn to roll her eyes. "You act like you were gonna die."

"I felt like it!"

"You're being dramatic."

"'Cause I'm dramatic about everything, right?" He mutters bitterly.

Mark and Jeno shoot a look at Jisung, having heard him. Mark keeps an eye on Jisung, noting how his mood seems to be getting worse by the second. How it's gotten worse since the call started.

"We seriously used to have such a hard time getting Jisung out of his shell. He wouldn't do anything."

"It sucked 'cause we wanted to have family time and he just wanted to be home or be with Jaemin and Haechan."

Jisung clenches his jaw, wondering what else his parents are going to complain about it while disregarding his feelings.

"You know I was uncomfortable, right?"

"You were with us, what's to be uncomfortable about?"

"It was the other people. And I basically watched myself when you left me with Jiho", Jisung says and eyes his brother.

"Jiho, is that true?"

"It doesn't matter if it is, you'll believe him if he lies to you."

"Jisung, you're still doing this? I thought you'd be more mature."

"How much more mature am I supposed to be?" He asks. "What do you expect for someone who faced hard times in their childhood?"

"Is this about what happened all those years ago?"

Jisung stays quiet, glaring at the screen.

Very worried for the male, Mark decides to get him out of there. "I'm so sorry but Jisung needs to help me carry stuff. Jeno will still talk to you."

"Oh, that's fine."

Of course it is, Jisung thinks with another eyeroll and lets Mark lead him out of the room.

Once they're by the ice machine, Mark stops. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

"What's to talk about? You know more about my lovely family, don't you?"

"I'm sorry."

"Don't pity me."

Mark sighs. "No, I'm genuinely sorry you have to deal with them being like that. You don't deserve it."

Jisung looks away, refusing to take any of the comfort the male wants to give. "It's fine."

"No, it's not and you're not fine either."

"There's nothing I can do." Quieter, he says, "I can't make them care."

Jisung takes the ice bucket from Mark and begins filling it up, signalling the end of their conversation.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck."

"What's going on?" Renjun asks.

"It's Jisung. Like a code red for him."

"Are Mark and Jeno helping him?"

"He's not letting them."

Chenle walks out of the bathroom, a sigh leaving his lips. "He didn't answer his phone and then Jeno texted me that Mark dragged him out to get ice so he'd have to stop talking to his parents."