chapter one hundred and twenty two

Haechan takes in Marks cute face, slightly messy hair, and sage green t-shirt with a sunflower on it. It amazes him how adorable his boyfriend looks right now. "You look so cute right now, what the hell."

Mark laughs. "What am I doing?"

"Existing. But also, you look really tiny right now and I wanna put you in my pocket." Haechan wraps his arms around Mark. "I'll just do this instead."

"Wait, how do I look tiny right now? You've never said this before."

"It's your t-shirt."

"What?"

"Your t-shirt makes you look tiny. And the flower on the front makes you look even cuter. I'm gonna give you kisses."

Mark doesn't bother responding (not that he'd have time to before Haechan attacks his face with kisses, making him giggle. The two stay in their position, having a quiet conversation, cuddling, and exchanging kisses until they hear the front door slam.

"We're home!" Jaemin calls.

"We brought dessert!"

At once, Mark and Haechan are on their feet and rush to see what dessert there is.

Haechan looks at the box of cookies and doesn't hesitate to open it. "This is why you're called Cookie."

"It's not just me who reacts like this, candy monster."

Minjae chuckles at the two and grabs a cookie while Reese and Affinity grab two each.

"Okay!" Jeno says, holding up the box. "The cookies aren't going anywhere but they will if you eat them all now."

"We can just eat the other dessert then", Affinity says.

"Dinner first", Jaemin reminds the girl.

"What are we having?"

"Do any of you oppose mac and cheese? No, actually, will any of you eat it?" The three nod. Jaemin opens the freezer and takes out a bag of frozen vegetables. "Will you eat these?"

"If you can make sure they don't taste it, they'll eat any vegetable", Minjae says. "I'm fine."

"Older kids don't really have a choice", Reese says. "We have to be good examples. I mean some stuff we can get away without eating but we always get looks if we loudly deny food around the younger kids."

"Are you gonna make us eat food no matter what?" Affinity asks.

"Do you mean like even if you don't like it or you're not hungry?" Mark questions and the girl nods.

"What the hell?" Jeno says. "No. That's just pointless."

"But sometimes I won't be hungry and then I'll want something at night."

"Okay?"

Reese sighs, pulling the girl into his arms. "She's used to the rules a foster family had for her. They were mean."

"Affinity, come here", Jeno says, gesturing for her to sit down. Once seated, Jeno squats down in front of her. "We are so sorry you had a foster family that was mean. You don't deserve that. It might be difficult but please try to forget everything they told you. We have different rules. We are never going to force any of you to eat food you don't like. We, also, are not going to make you eat when you're not hungry. We want you to eat when you are ready to eat. It's okay if it's not at the same time as everyone else. Also, you're a kid. You're allowed to talk and disagree. We're not going to try to silence you. Obviously, speak at appropriate volumes but you're allowed to say whatever you want. Remember, appropriate language."