chapter one hundred and thirty nine

Nina has a crush.

She's not really sure what started it, but recently, she's been paying more and more attention to Lace. And the feelings she has for them as a friend only feel amplified now. Of course she thinks they're cute and beautiful, but Nina doesn't usually have a problem taking her eyes off of Lace.

She also feels insanely relieved that they're both naturally affectionate so most things she does won't raise any suspicion. Most things.

Lace looks at Nina and raises an eyebrow. "Do you need something?" Nina shakes her head. "Is there something on my face?"

Nina grins. "Beauty."

Lace rolls their eyes, but Nina can see the way their face turns red, making them look so cute. "More of it is on you by the way."

"Huh?"

"Beauty. You have more of it." Before Nina can argue, Lace leans over and kisses their best friends cheek and gives Nina another kiss, thinking she's still gonna argue. When they pull away, they grin. "I win."

"That doesn't count. You didn't let me say anything."

"It counts, 'cause I say it does."

Nina narrows her eyes at them, but they just giggle. Nina sighs. "Fine. Only 'cause you're cute. Don't argue with me."

"It's not arguing if I tell you you're cute too."

"Just hug me."

Lace happily obliges, letting themselves be held. They still have to fight to keep their feelings at bay, but right now, they're just happy so they're not too focused on it. Nina gently strokes their hair, not taking their eyes off Lace.

Jisung peeks into the living room and questions how panicked Lace will get if he walks past them. Even though it's been months, Lace still hasn't fully relaxed, which he doesn't blame them for. He knows how hard it can be to get comfortable with unfamiliar people and as an adult himself, he's still not fully comfortable with other adults.

Once it looks like Lace can easily hide their face to avoid any chance of eye contact with Jisung (he doesn't want it either, to be honest), he walks through the living room, heading right for the kitchen.

"Hey, do either of you want anything?"

"I'm good", he hears Lace say.

"Me too."

"Either of you hungry?"

Jisung laughs to himself at the silence that follows the question, sure it's because of Nina and Lace having a silent conversation. He feels like he's right when Nina answers, "We both are."

"Does grilled cheese sound good or do I need to attempt to make something?"

"Lele said you're getting better", Nina tells him, now standing by the kitchen with Lace behind her. "He told me he trusts your cooking more than Marks."

"I feel like I'm more trustworthy than Jeno too. He gets distracted easily."

"That might be pushing it but sure."

Jisung pretends to be annoyed and kisses Ninas forehead and shoots a smile at Lace. Lace gives him a small smile back before they disappear into the living room with Nina.

"You see it too, right?" Jisung asks when him and Chenle are alone.

"Who are we talking about?"

"Lace and Nina."

Chenle nods. "Then yes. Lace is obvious and I think they know we know."

"Yeah, probably. But you see it with Nina too, right?"