chapter one hundred and twenty five

"You can have the rest of class to work on homework. When you're done, bring it to me, I will check it, and give you your phone back."

Of course that means the noise level goes up, even though it wasn't silent to begin with. Reese constantly refers to his notes as he copies down the steps for his homework problems. It's going fine, just slow, he sees as he glances over at the boy diagonal from him speeding through the questions.

He's not sure when it starts but the chattering becomes amplified in his ears, making it feel so much louder and distracting than he knows his classmates are being. The ticking of the clock on the wall adds onto it, making it feel almost impossible for him to concentrate. He tries anyways and ends up more frustrated with himself for not having idea how to the problem, despite his notes right next to him.

When he focuses on the loudest conversation, he realizes it's about the homework but nothing anyone is saying is making sense. Not even when they call the teacher over to see if they're right. Reese sighs and keeps his pencil over the paper to make it look like he's busy.

Reeses mood doesn't improve when he glances at the phone box and sees that almost everyone has their phones.

"Dude, it's easy!" Someone says to their friend.

He's grateful when he hears the teacher tell everyone to pack up. It takes only a minute and then Reese has his phone and is putting earbuds into it, needing a distraction.

Minjae, Nina, Haeun, Alya

Reese
Are any of you downstairs?

Nina
I am

Minjae
Is everything okay?

Reese
I need a 5 minute hug and I will cry if
none of you do it

Nina
I'd be happy to hug you
But really, what happened?

Reese
Just a hard time in math
My brain shut down
I need comfort

Nina
Minjae just texted me your schedule, I'll
come to you
Right now actually
The teacher said we could go early

Reese waits in front of the lockers next to his classroom and feels a wave of relief wash over him when he sees the older girl. Nina is quick to wrap him in a hug that the boy sinks into.

"This is really comfortable", Reese mumbles.

"I'm glad you think so. You have lunch, right?"

"Mhm. Jaemin or Haechan make us all lunch."

"That's nice of them. Lele makes my lunch sometimes or if I forget, one of them brings me something."

"I want lunch brought to me."

"I'm sure we can figure something out."

"Reese, who's that?" One of his classmates calls out to him, grinning at the two hugging.

"Why does it matter?"

"Is that your girlfriend?"

"No offense, Nina, but I kind of wanna throw up now."

"I'm also disturbed." Nina looks at the three boys still staring and rolls her eyes. "We're family. You can go now."

"You look like creeps, leave", a new voice says.