chapter one hundred and twenty eight

"I don't understand why we're doing this."

"Because", Chenle ruffles the girls hair,"Jisung wants to at least give them a chance. If they fuck up again, then that's it."

"Didn't they fuck up enough?" The teen mumbles.

"Just support Jisung, okay? This isn't gonna be easy for him even if they're shitty people, okay?"

"I'll always support him. And you but your parents seem nice."

"They are. They're very excited to meet you. My mom randomly sends me texts showing me things and asking if you would like them. And my dad said he'll spoil you when he's here."

"Oh, wow."

"Um, who's this?" Mia asks, smiling politely at Nina.

"Our relationship would be a grandparent and grandchild but that's if you actually deserve it." Nina plops down in her chair and smiles sweetly at the two.

Jisungs parents look at their youngest with wide eyes. "Is that true?"

Nina snorts. "Hearing loss doesn't surprise me", she mumbles, looking down at her lap.

Jiho clears his throat. "Yes, she is Jisung and Chenles daughter."

"Since when?"

"Not long after we got married."

An uncomfortable silence settles over the group as they get busy with their menus. Chenle, Jisung, and Nina discuss the food with each other like the others aren't there but then the waiter comes and takes their menus so they have to face the others.

"Thank you for coming", Mia tells him and then zeroes in on Jisung. "We'd like to apologize to you."

Oh really? Nina thinks but doesn't say anything, just waiting.

Jisungs dad clears his throat, gaze setting on his son. "Jisung, we're sorry. The last time we spoke to you, your mother and I were out of line. We said a lot of messed up things and we shouldn't have. If we can do anything, if you'll allow us, we'd like to make it up to you."

"We already missed your wedding and", Mrs. Park gestures to Nina, "a child. We don't wanna miss on anymore."

Nina looks at Jiho. "Is it your turn?"

"What?"

"To apologize. Isn't that why you're here? Or are you just gonna try arguing with Jisung again?"

"Um, excuse me", Mia says, trying to be nice. "This isn't any of your business. It would be better if you let us talk by yourselves."

"My family is my business and if Jiho isn't here to apologize, then isn't he doing the same thing I am?"

"W-well..."

Nina grins. "That's what I thought. Now", she looks at Jiho again, "are you going to apologize?"

"I already have?" Jiho says in confusion.

"You think one apology is enough for how much you screwed up?" Nina takes a sip of her drink and then focuses back on the male. "You were a fucking bully. To your little brother. Aren't you supposed to, I don't know, protect him? And look out for him? You're already so goddamn lucky Jisung loves you so much and is willing to let you in his life 'cause you don't deserve him and he sure as hell doesn't deserve you. And didn't you say that you'd try to be a good brother to him from now on? What, does that only apply when you feel like it?"