chapter ninety nine

All cuddled up on Chenles couch with his best friends arms around him, holding him tight, Mark finally allows himself to answer the males question. "What happened?"

"It hurts", he mumbles, lips trembling. He turns and tucks his head into Chenles neck, apparently not prepared to answer at all.

Chenle kisses the top of his head. "Whenever you're ready, okay, Cutie?"

Mark nods against him, no intention of speaking about it anytime soon. Instead he says, "Your hair is still throwing me off."

The male laughs and plays with a strand of his recently-dyed silver hair. "It throws me off too sometimes. The first day after I got it, I got really confused as to why my hair wasn't pink."

Mark laughs. "Of course you'd do that." He nuzzles up against his best friend, wanting to be as close as he can get, feeling comfortable.

"You're so cute, Mark."

"You too."

Chenle kisses his forehead and continues to gently run his hand up and down Marks back, knowing it eases him. It's really cute how all Marks down since he started the action is inch closer to him.

"I love you", he murmurs, so quietly Mark doesn't hear it. It's okay though. Mark not hearing it doesn't make it any less true. What was meant to be a passing thought has a lightbulb go off in the silvery-haired males mind. "Cutie?" He asks tentatively, peeking at Marks cute face.

"Hm?"

"Can I ask you a question?"

Mark sighs. "It's about why I'm here, isn't it?"

"I don't have to ask", he tells him softly.

"Go ahead."

"Do you think love only exists if you can see it? Or, you know, hear it?"

"What?"

"If I only ever showed love to you and said nice things but never said the phrase 'I love you', would you know that I love you?"

Mark shakes his head. "I tried to be okay with that before. But people not telling me they love me directly goes beyond more than them just not saying it that way."

"Jeno, Haechan, and Jaemin tell you they love you, don't they? And Jaemin is falling in love?"

"Mhm."

"Is only one of them or is it all of them? Why does it hurt?"

"I'm afraid they love each other more", Mark mumbles too quiet for his friend to hear.

"What?"

"I'm afraid they love each other more and I'm just there and I'm always gonna be last."

"Oh, Cutie", Chenle says softly, now cupping Marks face and getting a good luck at his sad, pouty face. "I don't think they love each other more."

"I don't wanna think that either but what if it's true?"

"What if it's not?"

"Haechan's gonna make it official with Jeno, did you know that?"

"Yeah."

"I'm scared they're not gonna love me as much as I will. I wanna think it's different but", Mark gulps, letting his tears fall. "It was supposed be different last time. And they all never mean to do it on purpose either, it just happens when I start falling and they won't!" He takes a breath. "I know Jaemin said he's falling too but he wants Jeno. I'm not even gonna mention him with Haechan, we knew he was in love."