News Arrives At Winterfell

~ Winterfell ~

Far away in Winterfell, the ancestral seat of House Stark, four young members of the family stood in the courtyard, as Brandon, the second youngest Stark son, practiced archery.

The Stark daughters were inside with their Septa and other daughters of the noble houses, practicing embroidery. 

Unaware to the boys in the courtyard, Ned Stark. The current Lord of Winter and Warden of the North, stood on the balcony with his wife, Catelyn, observing them.

After Bran missed another shot, his brothers chuckling, Lord Stark decided to make his presence known.

"And which one of you was a marksman at ten?" Clearly he was referring to his two eldest as young Rickon, the baby of the family, was only six. "Keep practicing Bran. Go on."

With that, Bran nocked another arrow and prepared to fire.

"Don't think too much Bran," his older half brother, Jon Snow, told him.

"Relax your bow arm." His eldest brother, Robb, instructed.

Just as he was about to fire, another arrow hit the bullseye before he could, causing them all to turn around.

Behind them stood Arya, the youngest Stark daughter and Bran's older sister. She gave them a mock courtesy before fleeing as she saw Bran running in her direction.

It was as Arya and Bran were running about the courtyard, that Lord and lady Stark were approached by Rodrik Cassel, the Master At Arms and Theon Greyjoy, Lord Stark's ward.

"What is it?" Lord Stark asked.

"The guardsmen just returned from the hills. They've captured a deserter from the Night Watch."

Lord Stark sighed, as did his wife.

Both knew what this meant.

He would have to sentence this man to death. The oath of the Night Watch was set in stone and could only be released by death.

Lord Stark's younger brother, Benjen, was a member, a ranger.

He would also be bringing along his sons.

"Get the lads to saddle their horses." He looked at his wife before adding, "And tell Bran he's coming too."

With that, Ser Rodrik and Theon walked off.

"Ned. Ten is too young to see such things."

"He won't be a child foreveir. And Winter is coming."

The famous words of House Stark.

~ Hilltop ~

Ned Stark, accompanied by his sons and ward, as well as half a dozen guardsmen, stood awaiting the deserter.

As he was dragged by two guards, muttering to himself, he was placed in front of Lord Stark.

Those in attendance couldn't decipher what he had been mumbling, but what they did hear was "White Walkers".

The white walkers were an ancient tale passed down through each generation.

No one alive had seen them, not that it was likely whoever did came back alive.

Lord Stark stood face to face with the disheveled man, who slowly raised his head.

"I know I broke my oath. And I know I'm a deserter. I should have gone back to the Wall and warned them. But I saw what I saw. I saw the White Walkers. People need to know." He paused, looking down. "If you can get word to my family, tell them I'm no coward. Tell them I'm sorry."