The Wedding Of The New King

[Streets of King's Landing]

In the streets, bells could be heard ringing, and people were cheering and shouting. Many were gathered on the sides of the road, waving as a number of carriages are carried past.

"Queen Margaery! Queen Margaery! Queen Margaery!" The men and women who lined the streets cheered.

Inside her carriage, Cersei watched the people on the street, a sullen look on her face, before closing her curtains.

Today was the day she officially lost the title of Queen.

[Great Sept Of Baelor]

"I am his/hers, and she/he is mine. From this day, until the end of my dais." Tommen and Margaery said in unison before sharing a kiss.

Cersei watches them from the crowd, emotionless.

The newlyweds turned to the crowd, holding hands. They smiled and laughed as everyone clapped.

Cersei clapped as well, and forced herself to smile.

Aelinor had to give the Tyrells credit. Their sigil, a golden rose, nor their House words, Growing Strong, were meant to instill fear of foreboding as many other Houses did.

Instead, they played the part of the innocent flower. So well many would be inclined to forget about the thorns that laid beneath.

It was official; Margaery had been married to her Uncle Renly, brother Joffrey and now her brother Tommen.

It seemed the Tyrells and Hightowers of overreaching had finally paid off. One of their own was finally the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. At least, for now.

A lot could happen in the Capital, and it often did, very quickly.

The death of King Robert and Joffrey being crowned. Ned Stark's execution. The massacre of her father's bastards. The War Of The Five Kings. Battle Of the Blackwater. Joffrey's death. Oberyn's near demise. Tywin's death. And now, a bunch of religious fanatics flocking to the Capital.

The next day, Cersei and Tommen walked together near the castle wall. A group of guards walked behind them.

"You look very much in love. The first days of marriage are often so blissful. She's certainly very pretty, isn't she? Like a doll, she smiles quite a lot. Do you think she's smart? I can't quite tell. Not that it matters."

"Do you ever miss Casterly Rock?" Tommen suddenly asked.

"There's nothing for me in Casterly Rock."

"That's where you grew up." They stopped walking. "You alwys told me that you liked the people there better. You said that King's Landing smelled of horse dung and sour milk."

Cersei chuckled. "Why are we speaking of Casterly Rock?"

"The way that you talked about it, I always thought that you missed it. That you... That it was your real home."

"This is my real home now. Where my family lives."

"I want you to be happy, mother."

"I know that. I know you do, my sweet boy."

"But wouldn't you be happier in Casterly Rock?"

Cersei immediately knew who had put him up to this.

She turned and stormed off, nearly running into her daughter.

"Mom?"

Cersei did not answer, nor did she break her stride.

Curious, Aelinor hurried after her.

Cersei approached a room followed by her daughter and two guards. Inside, Margaery was having tea with some of her friends.

"I said, "Darling, surely four times is enough, are you trying to set a new record?" And he said, "Well, what is the record? I'm sure we can break it."

Margaery’s friends laughed at her comment. As Cersei and Aelinor entered, they all stood up and bowed.

"Mother!" Margaery stood up and hugged Cersei. "Welcome." She noticed Aelinor behind her mother. "Sister. Lovely to see you."

We're not sister's, Aelinor thought to herself.

"Don't you look lovely. Marriage agrees with you." Cersei said.

"Can we bring you anything to eat or drink? I wish we had some wine for you. It's a bit early in the day for us."

Aelinor knew this was meant to be a subtle dig at the frequency of her mother's drinking.

"No, no. I, I can't stay. I just wanted to let you know if, there is ever anything I can do for you."

"You are very sweet."

"Tommen seems quite taken with his new queen." Cersei noted.

"I absolutely adore him. You raised a gallant young man. I'm foreve grateful."

"Good. Good. I'm glad to hear you're happy."

"Ecstatic. I really am. Exhausted, to be honest, but what can I expect, he is half lion, half stag."

Margaery’s friends laughed.

"I'll leave you to it then." Cersei turned to leave.

"Oh, forgive me, I haven't been at Court for long, I get so confused. What's the proper way to address you now? Queen Mother or Dowager Queen?"

Of course she couldn't resist mocking the former Queen for her loss of the title.

"There's no need for such formalities."

"In any event, judging from the King's enthusiasm, the Queen Mother will soon become a Queen Grandmother to a second child. Aegar would have a cousin."

Aelinor cringed. She really did not need to hear anything about her baby brother's marital activities.

My son has plenty of family. None of whom share any blood with you.

Of course Aelinor could not say this aloud.

"Won’t that be a lovely day."

"Can you imagine the celebrations? They'll ring the bells all day and night."

"Remember. Anything you need."

Margaery smiled as the mother-daughter duo left. Though once they were out of sight, her smile quickly faded. It returned when her friends began laughing, and she turned back around.

Cersei walked away with her daughter and two guards, still able to hear the laughter.

"This is exactly what I'm talking about. That insipid little girl thinks because she now bears the title of Queen, she can speak to everyone any way she pleases. I know it was her who mentioned Casterly Rock to your brother."

"Casterly Rock? Why would she be talking with him about Casterly Rock?"

"The little she-devil is whispering in his ear, trying to convince him to send me away, so she can have absolute control over him. Just like she tried with Joffrey."

"I'm not sure I like where this conversation is going."

"Oh, don't pretend you care for anyone in their family. Not even your husband."

"I did my duty. Married who my brother told me to and gave him a son."

"Yes, you have your son. Meaning your husband is practically useless to you. It would be better if you fell pregnant again soon, hopefully with another boy, and you would have an heir and a spare."

Aelinor paused mid-step. "An heir and a spare? To the rest of Westeros, my child and any children I have may be pawns, but to me, they are my children first. Gods help anyone who dare harm a hair on their heads."

"Now you're thinking like a mother. Remember what I told you, everything I do is to ensure the safety of my children. I have already lost one. I refuse to lose the rest."

And Aelinor knew she meant it. But, how far was she willing to go?